1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

cylinder head stripped...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnmaniac883, Oct 25, 2005.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Was replacing some rocker arms on a buddies old proline today. Get to last one and of course, it had to strip out on me. So, I suggested drilling and tapping to the next larger size thread. Is this a good idea? Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

MAybe heli-coil it. To move up a complete size is gonna be taking alot of metal out.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I second the heli-coil idea, Less chance of further problems and you may not be able to get a larger screw in the rocker. (you didn't state which engine)

4. lawnmaniac883

Engine has non-adjustable valves in it. True that a larger screw would not fit without being drilled. Now to go about installin a heli-coil, I have to re tap the hole then torque these things in? Never used one before, so instruction on the topic is appreciated.

5. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

You get a Heli-coil kit. It comes with the right sized drill, then you tap with the included tap. Then you screw in the heli-coil with supplied tool. Then your threads are new again.

The kits come in all different sizes, see a good auto supply store.

I would like to add that in all my heli-coil experiences I have had 100% success!

6. Restrorob

Just a pointer, When installing the coil with the supplied tool put a SLIGHT steady pressure on the tool at all times while twisting and hold the tool centered with the hole, They can jump a thread then you have another problem.

7. lawnmaniac883

Sounds good fellas, is this gonna be found at autozone or do I need to order online?

8. Restrorob

You can check there or NAPA is where I get mine.
    Good Luck

9. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea on the Helicoil... I always put a lil Loc-Tite red on the insert... that way if I ever have to remover the bolt, the insert wont come with it. Also if its a closed bottom hole, that is shallow, you may have problems with out the proper bottom tap.