Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John Deere lawn tractor.

One of the spark plugs is fouled with black soot after 5 mows and is making an odd noise like a bad muffler.

Replaced muffler and same issue.

Black smoke comes out and if you engage PTO, it almost stalls.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Last time I had black smoke it was a carburetor problem.

Black smoke is unburnt fuel.

That could be either:
Bad spark, too much fuel, not enough air.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Kaw coils can operate sporadically. When I had one going bad, there would be a faint smell of raw gas just after it began to run rough = which only happened after the engine was completely warmed up. It always started and ran fine from a cold start. New coil installed/gapped made it run like new.
Valves ever been adjusted?

Reactions: Freaky Fido

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kaw coils can operate sporadically. When I had one going bad, there would be a faint smell of raw gas just after it began to run rough = which only happened after the engine was completely warmed up. It always started and ran fine from a cold start. New coil installed/gapped made it run like new.
Valves ever been adjusted?
Good question and I think they were a few years ago but my gut says it is the valves that are off.

FYI, this one is Briggs.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Good question and I think they were a few years ago but my gut says it is the valves that are off.

FYI, this one is Briggs.
Yeah, could certainly be the valves. Is that an Intek I/C engine? They're known for having multiple head issues, amongst other issues. The Vanguard engines are a pretty solid engine, the Intek not so much. I'm currently looking for a used riding mower for my son and I'm staying away from units with both the Intek and the Kohler Courage. Unfortunately, that's most of the smaller used riding mowers on the market.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts