• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

D403 pump emergency help

SWEET-T

LawnSite Member
Saturday morning I lost pressure. It started surging and would pump normal then trickle. It did this for a few minutes and then quit pumping all together. It still agitates but when i flip the valves to actually spray it surges and quits all together. I rebuilt it back in january so I pulled it apart to check. Everything looks good and is still in its place. Also my guage tack out all the way and stays there whether agitating or in spray position. I've got to get this up and going as its my primary setup. Any insight before I start dismantling would be fantastic.
Travis

While I am not to familiar with the pump you mentioned it sounds like a blown diaphragm that has too much oil above the diaphragm and not enough air.
When you pull the diaphragm hold it up to a very strong light and look for any pin holes or light tears. Also if the diaphragm is more than a year old or is the original nylon one you have to replace it with a viton based one.
Shouldn't take long, I have a D30 and to do what I described takes about fifteen minutes.
I have seen oil contamination from blown diaphragms allowing the contents of the tank to invade the lubricating oil. If this happens you have to re-seal the entire pump which isn't difficult. Takes about 45 minutes total.

OP
S

SWEET-T

LawnSite Member
oil is fine...that's the first thing I checked. I took it apart and all the diaphragms looks fine. couldn't find any cracks or holes. still not sure so I'll probably be calling hypro. anybody else?

sprayboy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Not familiar with that pump either but if it pumping pressure then it sounds like a regulator could be sticking.

SeedPro

LawnSite Bronze Member
I know this sounds simple but when was the last time you cleaned your filter.

What you described can easily be caused by a dirty filter.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
When you say it still agitates, is that the flow from the bypass line? It is very possible for the regulator to be hung up or the jet agitator to be clogged. I vote for agitator/pressure side of the pump being clogged because your gauge does go up.

KES

LawnSite Member
I have a 403 and I agree with everyone it sounds like a filter clogged or regulator is sticking. Clean the filter and see what happens. Also back your regulator all the way out or down to the lowest pressure and let it run for a few minutes. I know this sounds weird, but over the years just doing that it has fixed several pumping systems.

Also look at the diaphragms on the side/ edge. Mine went out in Feb. or so and the diaphragm was split on the edge. I have never seen one do that.

Derek

OP
S

SWEET-T

LawnSite Member
Filter was fine and oil was normal. I pulled the regulator off and disassembled what i could and cleaned it. The hypro tech guy thinks regulator as well. I put it back on and a litttle change. It now flows fine through the gun but when i flip the valves to agitate it doesn't stop flow to the gun. As for the regulator, do y'all recommend buying the entire unit or a rebuild kit for it. Its a difference of $150.

IRS

LawnSite Member
I just ordered the kit. I was simple and much cheaper got it from Rittenhouse they have great technical support and videos on you-tube on how to install
Posted via Mobile Device