Dallas grass vs Bermuda

165 Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
I know there have been several topics about problem grasses here. But I have one that is driving me crazy........

One customers lawn has the thickest and healthiest stand of Bermuda that I remember seeing. I have kept the fertilizer, etc on it as it should be. Soil samples were taken beforehand. This is a very upscale residence with a lawn of 15,000 sq ft.

The problem is that Dallas grass is scattered around throughout the lawn. I mow this one every 3-4 days. After 2 days or so the Dallas grass is sticking up (growing) about an inch higher than the Bermuda and it looks ragged. I'm cutting at 3.75" and have tried 4" but it looks too clumpy. They aren't over-watering.

I have told the owner that I can kill the majority of the Dallas with glyphosate but they know they will have dead spots in the Bermuda afterwards and aren't willing to do that (neither am I actually).

I am not aware of anything that will resolve this without harming the Bermuda.

Thoughts or suggestions please? TIA

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Certainty also has dallis grass suppression on the label I believe.

all it takes is one or two seed heads to drop and it’s off and running again. Someone in the neighbor has it or it may be on your equipment unbeknownst to you.

OP

165 Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Certainty also has dallis grass suppression on the label I believe.

all it takes is one or two seed heads to drop and it’s off and running again. Someone in the neighbor has it or it may be on your equipment unbeknownst to you.

I've used Certainty as well as Celsius and it knocks it down to some degree but it does come back. Guess we'll have to deal with it until the Bermuda goes dormant and then kill it with RoundUp.

Thanks for the reply.

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Dallis is my most hated weed. Ive fought it for years, you can use the Tribute Total, or mix it yourself with Revolver, Celsius, etc. That works, sometimes. You have to hit it good and you need to come back and hit it again in my experience.

MSMA does a number on it, but requires two treatments in 10 days or it comes right back, but you can't use MSMA anywhere except a golf course really, and this time of year MSMA burns the bermuda too a little.

I gave up fighting with Tribute or my own mix, and just gly it. Its the only foolproof way to kill it off. I deal with the minefield look by pushing the bermuda. I wouldn't ever be cutting bermuda at 3"+ myself though, I don't like how it looks at that height.

I will say that on a course, if we couldn't use MSMA, we go out with a paintbrush and gly, paint it on the leaves carefully and then it don't come back.

At the end of the season you have about a 2 week window between the time bermuda would go to sleep and dallis does too.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Dallis is my most hated weed. Ive fought it for years, you can use the Tribute Total, or mix it yourself with Revolver, Celsius, etc. That works, sometimes. You have to hit it good and you need to come back and hit it again in my experience.

MSMA does a number on it, but requires two treatments in 10 days or it comes right back, but you can't use MSMA anywhere except a golf course really, and this time of year MSMA burns the bermuda too a little.

I gave up fighting with Tribute or my own mix, and just gly it. Its the only foolproof way to kill it off. I deal with the minefield look by pushing the bermuda. I wouldn't ever be cutting bermuda at 3"+ myself though, I don't like how it looks at that height.

I will say that on a course, if we couldn't use MSMA, we go out with a paintbrush and gly, paint it on the leaves carefully and then it don't come back.

At the end of the season you have about a 2 week window between the time bermuda would go to sleep and dallis does too.
ive also used a foam brush and “painted” it, then dug it up and bagged it once it was dying out throwing it in a dumpster.

Top Forums