Dallisgrass! Help!

kimberlyag1978

LawnSite Member
This is the first year I have decided to pay attention to my yard (after 13 years of living here). It is a giant mess. I have started keeping an excel spreadsheet to help me understand what has worked and what hasn't worked. I'll start by saying I live in NC (zone 7 - Piedmont), and I need some advice on strategy...

I started the year with Thick'R Lawn in late March, started mowing high (3.25"-3.5") and watering at least twice a week (deeply). Then late April, I applied 2,4-D for (MAJOR) dandelion infestation (no pre-emergent because I had no idea what that was before this year), and then I dethatched, aerated, and applied weed and feed in late May (tons of clover). I then realized I had "grassy weeds" so I bought/applied Quinclorac by early June.

After some extensive research and seeing the grassy weeds simply turn purple, I have realized I have the formidable "Dallisgrass!" (I went on a scavenger hunt and found seedheads, so I am 100% certain that's what this is - refer to picture.) What a disaster! It's literally the worst thing you can have in your yard. So after some more extensive research, I applied Celsius WG yesterday (I used 2tsp in 2 gal. sprayer with a splash of MSO) and now I guess I wait. (I did NOT add Revolver like the instructions suggest because.....it's like $400+?!?!) I am almost certain the Thick'R Lawn has cool season grass seed, so I have probably just killed what I put down in March. Oh well! I have no idea what "grass" was in the yard before seeding, but there really wasn't much of it anyway I guess?

My question is this. I plan to wait 30 days to re-apply the Celsius WG because I know it takes more than one application (and can be used in the heat), but does anyone have any experience with this stuff and know if it will really work? If not, I might as well just Round-up the entire yard and start over. If I had to guess, it's probably 35% good grass (including my March seeding) and 65% of a combination of crabgrass, dallisgrass, clover, and every other weed you can possibly think of. My yard could be a You-Tube Video as an example of the worst yard ever. :/ (If someone says it DOES work with Revolver I may be willing to try, but it's just not a gamble I'm willing to take after spending close to $1,000 so far only to find out it may be a lost cause.)

It's too hot to plant seeds, so I feel like I have some time to wait to see if it works, but quite frankly, I don't want to waste any more time and money trying to salvage the unsalvageable. IF the Celsius works, I plan to dethatch, aerate, and overseed again in late September. That will give enough time to get the herbicide out of the soil.

I guess I'm really hoping someone will say it works and I can keep on with my plan to not kill the entire yard with Round-up. The fact that I got around 35% of the yard to grow something in March was promising to me and I want to eventually keep on with my plan and crowd this stuff out. But I am very new to this and don't know if that will work. Digging these ugly things out is not an option because they are just too established and ALL over the entire yard and I can't spot spray because it's all mixed together with the good stuff.

I'm also struggling with the mow high and water strategy too, because dallisgrass LOVES that. So I'm out there spending $80/month on my water bill and mowing twice a week.....only to make the dallisgrass happy?!?! I have no idea what to do! Haha.

Anybody?

Attachments

• 20210623_134439.jpg
    20210623_134439.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20210621_220252_769.jpg
    IMG_20210621_220252_769.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210623_160430.jpg
    20210623_160430.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210623_160438.jpg
    20210623_160438.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210623_160440.jpg
    20210623_160440.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210623_160450.jpg
    20210623_160450.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20210623-143844_PictureThis.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-143844_PictureThis.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 86

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Celsius alone will not kill Dallis. Celsius + Revolver will damage dallis but when its mature, it doesn't do a great job killing it. You would also have to hit it twice within about 10 days. 30 days lets it heal and the 2nd app doesnt do anything but damage again. Tribute Total is a very pricey combination of 3 chemicals that does really damage it, but again when its mature, theres little hope.

I can't tell what type of lawn you have, bermuda or fescue? You cannot put fescue seeds down til September.

MSMA is the only chemical that really hurts dallis aside from the triple combo of Tribute Total. Its sold as Target 6 Plus, and homeowners can buy and use it, even though youre not supposed to. I spray it on golf courses where its allowed. You have to spray twice within 10 days, the first one turns it yellow, the 2nd one kills most of it, but again, when its big and mature in summer, likely not gonna work.

Roundup/gly is the solution I've come to over the years fighting the stuff. Its better to deal with a lawn that looks like a minefield and push with fert than have to keep coming back to hit the stuff again and again.

OP
K

kimberlyag1978

LawnSite Member
Thank you so much for your feedback! It's also what I was afraid of... I did not even think about doing it 10 days apart vs. 30 because of the label, but after everything I have put on it, it's basically just thanking me for the extra water I've sprayed on it! It's completely relentless and appears unphased!

I DID decide to buy the Revolver last night, and it will be here before my next spraying, but I think what's going to happen is the gly at the end of the day. I'll wait 10 days or so after I hit it again with the celsius. I'm just glad I realized this early because I definitely want to put seeds down in September (late) and then just do everything right from here forward.

As you can tell from the pics, my neighbor is infested with it too (and a bunch of other stuff) so it will be hard to maintain. But I can dig out young plants (one or two) but I can't dig out an entire yard.

Again, thanks for the help. Whatever's next, I want to watch it suffer as it dies! Haha.

tandotech

LawnSite Member
This is the first year I have decided to pay attention to my yard (after 13 years of living here). It is a giant mess. I have started keeping an excel spreadsheet to help me understand what has worked and what hasn't worked. I'll start by saying I live in NC (zone 7 - Piedmont), and I need some advice on strategy...

I started the year with Thick'R Lawn in late March, started mowing high (3.25"-3.5") and watering at least twice a week (deeply). Then late April, I applied 2,4-D for (MAJOR) dandelion infestation (no pre-emergent because I had no idea what that was before this year), and then I dethatched, aerated, and applied weed and feed in late May (tons of clover). I then realized I had "grassy weeds" so I bought/applied Quinclorac by early June.

After some extensive research and seeing the grassy weeds simply turn purple, I have realized I have the formidable "Dallisgrass!" (I went on a scavenger hunt and found seedheads, so I am 100% certain that's what this is - refer to picture.) What a disaster! It's literally the worst thing you can have in your yard. So after some more extensive research, I applied Celsius WG yesterday (I used 2tsp in 2 gal. sprayer with a splash of MSO) and now I guess I wait. (I did NOT add Revolver like the instructions suggest because.....it's like $400+?!?!) I am almost certain the Thick'R Lawn has cool season grass seed, so I have probably just killed what I put down in March. Oh well! I have no idea what "grass" was in the yard before seeding, but there really wasn't much of it anyway I guess?

My question is this. I plan to wait 30 days to re-apply the Celsius WG because I know it takes more than one application (and can be used in the heat), but does anyone have any experience with this stuff and know if it will really work? If not, I might as well just Round-up the entire yard and start over. If I had to guess, it's probably 35% good grass (including my March seeding) and 65% of a combination of crabgrass, dallisgrass, clover, and every other weed you can possibly think of. My yard could be a You-Tube Video as an example of the worst yard ever. :/ (If someone says it DOES work with Revolver I may be willing to try, but it's just not a gamble I'm willing to take after spending close to $1,000 so far only to find out it may be a lost cause.)

It's too hot to plant seeds, so I feel like I have some time to wait to see if it works, but quite frankly, I don't want to waste any more time and money trying to salvage the unsalvageable. IF the Celsius works, I plan to dethatch, aerate, and overseed again in late September. That will give enough time to get the herbicide out of the soil.

I guess I'm really hoping someone will say it works and I can keep on with my plan to not kill the entire yard with Round-up. The fact that I got around 35% of the yard to grow something in March was promising to me and I want to eventually keep on with my plan and crowd this stuff out. But I am very new to this and don't know if that will work. Digging these ugly things out is not an option because they are just too established and ALL over the entire yard and I can't spot spray because it's all mixed together with the good stuff.

I'm also struggling with the mow high and water strategy too, because dallisgrass LOVES that. So I'm out there spending $80/month on my water bill and mowing twice a week.....only to make the dallisgrass happy?!?! I have no idea what to do! Haha.

Anybody?
I have used Celsius with certainty and had good results on Dallas grass.
.113 oz Celsius per 1000ft²
1 large scoop certainty per 1000
I would also mix in dimension, kinda has a built in surfactant and pre emergent bonus.
You can also use a organisilicone base surfactant, ammonium sulfate, or like a 12-0-0 with iron to help uptake and stress recovery for the existing turf.

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Roundup/gly is the solution I've come to over the years fighting the stuff. Its better to deal with a lawn that looks like a minefield and push with fert than have to keep coming back to hit the stuff again and again.
@takervader, what is pushing with fertilizer, say for a common Bermuda lawn?

I've seen / heard of pushing a lawn but I am interested in your definition of it. I do not believe that I need to do it to my small lawn, presently, but hope to understand it better should I need to in the future.

I think I have a couple of Dallisgrass weeds, but I have been mowing low as you suggested and they seem to be receding, or at least not expanding.

Last edited:

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
If you have just a few clumps dig it up. Or as I've stated in other threads put about 2 TBS of some high N granular fert right on the middle of the clump and leave it there don't water it in. In about 3 days your clump with be dead or on its way to dead without the severe basketball sized dead areas that glyphosate will leave.

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
If you have just a few clumps dig it up. Or as I've stated in other threads put about 2 TBS of some high N granular fert right on the middle of the clump and leave it there don't water it in. In about 3 days your clump with be dead or on its way to dead without the severe basketball sized dead areas that glyphosate will leave.
Could you recommend a particular high N granular fertilizer?

I am definitely out of my league here - a complete novice. Until 2-years ago all I knew was miracle grow and Alaska fish emulsion.

And, I think I just discovered what King Ranch Bluestem is but I do not think I have any, thank God.

Top Forums