Dallisgrass! Help!

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd go 30-X-X or above or as close to that as you can (that first number is your N "Nitrogen" percentage by weight) find a bag and it will list N-P-K. Example triple 14 is 14-14-14 which is 14% Nitrogen (N), 14% Phosphorus (P) and 14% Potassium (K) in this case it doesn't matter what your P and K are because it is the Nitrogen that's going to be killing the dallisgrass for the most part. Urea will be 46-0-0 would be ideal but Im not sure big box stores sell plain urea. But anything around that 28-x-x 35-x-x something like that would work fine. I was told this "trick" years ago and it absolutely works for clumps that are well defined throughout the yard. if dallis is mixed all in the lawn it isnt going to work. Quick and easy. Put it all in one small scoop pile in the center don't spread it out. It will do the work for you. Ace, HD, Lowes any garden store will have something like this.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd go 30-X-X or above or as close to that as you can (that first number is your N "Nitrogen" percentage by weight) find a bag and it will list N-P-K. Example triple 14 is 14-14-14 which is 14% Nitrogen (N), 14% Phosphorus (P) and 14% Potassium (K) in this case it doesn't matter what your P and K are because it is the Nitrogen that's going to be killing the dallisgrass for the most part. Urea will be 46-0-0 would be ideal but Im not sure big box stores sell plain urea. But anything around that 28-x-x 35-x-x something like that would work fine. I was told this "trick" years ago and it absolutely works for clumps that are well defined throughout the yard. if dallis is mixed all in the lawn it isnt going to work. Quick and easy. Put it all in one small scoop pile in the center don't spread it out. It will do the work for you. Ace, HD, Lowes any garden store will have something like this.
Why not round up it burns it down, won't fertilizer do the same? If you are going around to each clump might as well pop it out?

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Roundup leaves you with a plate sized dead spot for the majority of the season. Even on quickly growing Bermuda. Especially zoysia, heck possibly 2 seasons for some zoysia to recover. This doesn't. Recovery in about a month or two. Digging up is absolutely an option as was mentioned. If you've got 20 or so clumps spread over a lawn the fert is a whole lot quicker IMO and in my experience. I still do both and if I see a single clump or two sure I'll just dig it out real quick. Just alternative ways depending on the situation.

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Why not round up it burns it down, won't fertilizer do the same? If you are going around to each clump might as well pop it out?
I admire anyone that can work outdoors in this Godforsaken climate - but I belong in Montana, not Texas. Poor life choices have me stuck here.

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Roundup leaves you with a plate sized dead spot for the majority of the season. Even on quickly growing Bermuda. Especially zoysia, heck possibly 2 seasons for some zoysia to recover. This doesn't. Recovery in about a month or two. Digging up is absolutely an option as was mentioned. If you've got 20 or so clumps spread over a lawn the fert is a whole lot quicker IMO and in my experience. I still do both and if I see a single clump or two sure I'll just dig it out real quick. Just alternative ways depending on the situation.

Kemco,

I am confused. 2-years ago my first endeavor at Bermuda grass, that I started 3-years ago, was a complete failure, and my lawn was infested with every manner of weed known to mankind. I sprayed the entire lawn with Roundup grass and weed killer, everything died, I paid a few fellows to hack the dead stuff up with pick-axes and remove it, re-seeded the lawn with Common Bermuda, and it germinated and began to grow in less than a month.

If I recall, the Roundup stated that areas could be re-seeded after only 4-days of application? I may be wrong, but whatever the facts are, I was shocked at how soon the instructions said it could be re-seeded - it was a matter of days, in any event.

Are we taking about 2-different formulations of Roundup?

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
It's been a while since I've used the brand "Roundup". I tend to use that word interchangeably with any product I may custom mix that has the primary active ingredient glyphosate. Back when we did a lot of sod and seed I would always wait at least one week after spraying glyphosate before putting sod or seed down. Pull up a label online and read it would be my best response. And when Im talking about spraying dallis I'm literally talking spot spray and only try to hit the dallisgrass. Which is not only difficult it is near impossible without killing ng some surrounding grass.

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Well, I have to admit, again, I never had a clue as to what it takes to maintain a beautiful lawn - especially in the south. My hat is off to all y'all!

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
I realize this is a lawn forum - do any of you know where I can get good/professional advice for growing tomatoes? I have 3 Cherokee Purple heirloom tomato plants growing in containers as "fall tomatoes" here in Texas.

I would like to find a systemic tomato disease control product that works - I am not wedded to organic products that might work!

Thank you in advance.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
would like to find a systemic tomato disease control product that works - I am not wedded to organic products that might work!
Probably try starting a new thread Thumbs Up
Have to know what you're trying to treat or control first
Systemic and non organic dont always go well with something you're going to eat

The Zen Master

LawnSite Member
Probably try starting a new thread Thumbs Up
Have to know what you're trying to treat or control first
Systemic and non organic dont always go well with something you're going to eat
I could not find a forum on LawnSite that seems appropriate for vegetables. I was hoping maybe there was a professional/commercial vegetable site with a homeowner assistance thread that someone could point me to.

I am already too old to worry about non-organic causing me to grow a second head or a huge third leg! :D

Top Forums