Damage on aluminum siding. Was it me?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rippinryno, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

If she makes a claim , you would be on the hook to reside the whole house .Aluminum siding cant be matched . This has to the potential to be very expensive

Mumblingboutmowers and Ma&Pa like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

So you're saying I potentially am liable to replace all the siding on the entire house? If that's the case, i quit lawn care. Luckily for me, that's not how it works and I will continue mowing lawns :)

I was the only one there, I am a solo op with no employees so if the damage was done by me, it was me.

I too would expect to see some paint or something, and have no idea how my mower would gouge that bad and then leave a scratch with zero paint, grease, or grass. If it was a trimmer, we'd be seeing green trimmer streaks on the siding. Other than some small amounts of grass, that siding looks pretty clean to me. The entire perimeter of the house is grass with about 6" of foundation and then aluminum siding. There is no damage anywhere else and those places actually require that i use a trimmer and get close with a mower.

Ma&Pa likes this.
  3. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

Is the a/c unit new?

4. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

If you did it you would know, just stand up to the customer and tell her she is full of it.

weeze likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Ac unit is not new, that was something i looked at. THe customer may honestly think I did it, people don't pay much attention to things, but yes I think my best bet after confirming damage is to just tell her plain and simple that is not from me. This would be my first time ever, and trust me I know it can happen, but as a solo op I take pride in being careful, it's one of my best sales points. Customers can know they will always and only get me, not a kid.

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats exactly what I am saying , your insurance may have to reside the entire house . I had a tractor trailer driver come down my driveway thinking it was a road and he hooked the electric wire and ripped it off and a 5 by 5 area of siding , aluminum , it couldnt be matched . The insurance company had to replace the entire house with vinyl . So yes it can get expensive .

7. paulsgrass

paulsgrass LawnSite Member

If you feel it was not you tell the customer. Let the customer decide what they want to do. Not much more that you can do.

8. weeze

weeze Banned

probably done by some kids or something. i would never pay for anything i didn't do.

Ma&Pa likes this.
  9. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

The photos look like they show damage accumulated over an extended period. In particular, it looks to me like there is a dent that is so close to the trim that equipment hitting the would necessarily have dented the adjacent trim (although it is remotely possible that a rock was picked up and hit that spot) -- the top circle here. And the bottom circle appears to be a dent to the side of the trim -- I cannot visualize a way that might have occured unless you were engaged in some pretty bizarre activities.

upload_2019-9-11_7-49-52.png

10. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

You are absolutely correct. If a section of any type of siding cannot be matched then it is all to be redone. I've witnessed this before. You gave him something very important to consider. If he doesn't want to listen, that's his problem.

hort101 and Mdirrigation like this.