1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Day at the beach

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcatuser, Apr 28, 2008.

1. bobcatuser

bobcatuser LawnSite Senior Member

The first pictures are from a garage prep job from last week. These beach houses are on a flood plane so we also dug for a retaining wall/flood barrier.

The next pictures are from a warehouse renovation. The contractor spent 6Hrs with a 90lb air hammer in the first picture.:dizzy: The slab was 18” thick.

snow12 007.jpg

snow12 013.jpg

snow12 037.jpg

snow12 044.jpg

snow12 047.jpg

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

At 18" of concrete looks like he might have bit off a little more then he could chew 6 hrs later??????:usflag:

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think I would be jack hammering for 6 hours. In 1 hour if it wasn't making a dent I would have gone to plan B.

I wondering what he was using, A Bosch Brute ?

Is the warehouse in Richmond ?

I can see a 18 inch thick slab if it was sitting on soft ground.

4. bobcatuser

The warehouse is in Richmond, it was originally built as a fertilizer factory.

When I arrived at the job the contractor was using his forklift as a battering ram to take down cinder block walls. So I guess 6hrs chipping concrete must have seamed ok to them.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I kinda figured it would be in Richmond if they are using 18 inches of concrete so the building can float on top of the quicksand :laugh:

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

agree...he had the compressor there, why not go with a rock drill and wedges...i had to bust out a piece of granite last year...after 1/2 hour with the hammer i switched to the drill...little more of a pain but atleast you are getting somewhere

7. frustrated

frustrated LawnSite Member

after an hour without making a dent in concrete like that, I'd have just gone and said screw it, we're renting a big track hoe with a hammer on it.

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

And it took 6 hours to bang that out with your hammer??? You really need to hook up with me some time! :laugh:

9. bobcatuser

Ron, how much flat rate for the concrete breaking?

10. bobcatuser

Wedges work good for rock, I don’t know how they would work in reinforced concrete? Probably faster than chipping it with a air hammer.