DC latching soleneoid question

jvanvliet

LawnSite Gold Member
I'm installing a remote system for the FL Department of Corrections. First time using Torro DDCWP controller and DC latching solenoids.

Torro DDCWP-8 controller; 2" 100P Irritrol valves. Irritrol DC Latching solenoids.

Just want to make sure I'm wiring this thing right. The clock has a single black marked common and solid red to the valves. The Solenoid has 1 black wire and one red/white wire.

On the solenoid, does the black go to the common? I'm inclined to believe it does, but want to be certain. I don't know what reverse wiring will do the the DCLS.

No instructions with the solenoids :angry:

Sprinkus

LawnSite Silver Member
Solenoid black to common on the DDC controller.
Also remember to connect the solenoid before installing the controller batteries.
Reverse wiring will cause the valve to close when the controller comes on and stay open when the controller goes off.

OP
jvanvliet

jvanvliet

LawnSite Gold Member
A prime example of why TORO is considered a 4-letter word by most.
They are Irritrol DCLS's Torro's are coded for the contoler, I can't get them in time.

I think it may be a common issue for all multi station battery operated controllers.

the irrigator

LawnSite Member
Did a job a couple of years ago that required Toro DCLSs with valve in head. Ordered the heads and they all came with the wrong solenoids. Distributor promised to take care of it and it took one week to get six replacement solenoids ( needed 125). The solenoids came in dribs and drabs over two months! And the Sentinel controller was missing a pc board !

Curious to see how the Irritrol solenoids work out.

Mike Leary

LawnSite Fanatic
I've sure heard a ton of negative flack from you guys, but I still maintain the RB TBOS is the best product if you run out of wire, or have none to begin with. Yes, you gotta buy the programmer, and it's a bearcat to learn the operation, but once you get on to it, it's a clock in your hand. The potted latching solenoids will retro w/ most RB valves + Irritrol, Buckner & Champion. rainbird.com/landscape/products/controllers/TBOScontroller.htm

Last edited:
OP
jvanvliet

jvanvliet

LawnSite Gold Member
I've sure heard a ton of negative flack from you guys, but I still maintain the RB TBOS is the best product if you run out of wire, or have none to begin with. Yes, you gotta buy the programmer, and it's a bearcat to learn the operation, but once you get on to it, it's a clock in your hand. The potted latching solenoids will retro w/ most RB valves + Irritrol, Buckner & Champion. rainbird.com/landscape/products/controllers/TBOScontroller.htm
No doubt you are right, one big difference is the cost factor.