1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dead St. Augustine

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by TexasFire221, Mar 23, 2011.

1. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have a customer that is having some grass issues. There is one place where the grass has been replaced 3 times and keeps dying back to dirt. The area is sprinklered so water is not an issue. Could there be a soil issue? I thought about taking a sample and sending off to be tested. Anu thoughts?

2. Sounds like it to me....
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Is it in a real shady spot or does it get enough light?

I know we have been having Take All Patch since our our soil PH has been rising. Does this spot start dying in a semi irregular shape with the Stolons dying and roots a dark color and hard with maybe a few spots of green in the dead area? If this sounds like the problem then you have Take All Patch and it will kill the new sod also. Spread a thin layer of Peat Moss [it is very acidic] and water it in. This will lower the soil PH and Take All cannot survive in PH lower than 6.7.

4. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

5. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well there really isnt anything left of the grass but I did fond one runner and did notice that it was black toward the roots. She is pretty set in her ways, she wants a layer of soil removed and new replaced with new grass. I will also give the peat moss a try.