Deadly Sago's?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 29 Palms Property Management, Jun 27, 2006.

  1. 29 Palms Property Management

    29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 347

    An interesting story I found on the local news website this morning. I just wanted to post it FYI.

    JACKSONVILLE, FL -- Cruiser went everywhere with his family. He went to their sports games, even their church.

    The little one year old malti-poo dog played outside with the kids nearly every day. Then one day, it got very sick.

    His owner, Vicki Pappas, said he started throwing up within 20 minutes of ingesting a very toxic seed she had no idea was dangerous. Cruiser died just a few hours later.

    It was the Sago Palm plant in their front yard. It looks like a squat palm tree with very sharp leaves and trunk.

    In its trunk you'll find walnut-sized seeds that can be easily pulled out or fall out.

    According to the ASPCA, every part of the plant is toxic, but the seeds are especially poisonous.

    Cruiser ingested part of a crushed seed, and became just one of about 4,000 dogs that die nationally every year from it.

    Pappas said they're pulling all their Sagos out of their yard. And they want everyone to know about it.

    Even if you don't own a dog or cat, your child could get it's hands on it. And if they ingest one, it could be fatal.

    Pappas said hopefully her hard-earned lesson will teach everyone the about danger in their own yard.

    If your pet ingests a Sago Palm, the ASPCA says you should immediately give it a teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide or a teaspoon of salt for every ten pounds your pet weighs.

    That will induce vomiting, and hopefully save your pets life.
  2. martinfan06

    martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 631

    Valuable Information I Didn't Know They Were Poisonous. Great Post Thanks.
  3. AAELI

    AAELI LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 360

    There are a few dogs around here I would allow to gain access to it. We have them growing all around the property. My dogs have never been interested (stupid) enough to try to bite them. The plant has sharp points on the end of its fronds which prevent most animals / humans from getting close. Too many other fun plants to chew on.
    Condolences to the Pappas in the loss of their malted poo.
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

    CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 677

    Do you have the link to that article. Thanks!!!
  5. ChadsLawn

    ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,110

    wow, I have 1 on the side of my driveway. But I dont have any animals.
  6. extreme lawn care

    extreme lawn care LawnSite Member
    Messages: 40

    Thanks, I have to get it out NOW!!!!!!!!!! before my JRT gets into it.
  7. PastyWhite

    PastyWhite LawnSite Member
    from Jax, FL
    Messages: 56

    Thanks bro. I have 2 dogs and at least 10 sagos. I'm going to watch them closely now.
  8. 29 Palms Property Management

    29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 347

  9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

    CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 677

  10. AAELI

    AAELI LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 360

    The story said the dog ate part of a crushed seed. With several thousand of these sago's here on island it has never been reported that an animal or human for that matter has become sick or died from injesting a sago palm seed. I have never seen the dogs do more than just urinate on the palms, and even then they try to keep their distance as the fronds are really unfriendly.:nono: :nono:

    It would take a truly dim bulb to attempt to eat one of the seeds. Most islanders get the idea that most unfriendly plants, except pineapple, just don't appear to be edible. Survival of the fittest in action.:waving:

Share This Page