OP
D

DeafDreamer

LawnSite Member
1) The investor.

Yes, I understand this investor is in it for money. I understand he's expecting something in return. No, I am not going to do lawns for the rest of my life. I do not have the money for a formal education, nor do I have the money to start a larger-scale business. I am doing this in the meantime to generate capital for my next move. Chances are, however, I will never truly drop this company so much as just put it on the back burner.

That being said, I'm not worried about splitting profits. I would much rather make $100k next season and lose $20k than bring in $50k and lose nothing. My ego and my business are mutually exclusive, honestly it's all about what will get me further fastest. IF, however, you think that I will move along faster by myself, let me know and let me know why. As of now, I feel that having some decent start-up funding would eliminate years of work.

In this case, I'm fairly certain the investor/"partnership" will help tremendously, as it already has and he hasn't even helped financially. He has only helped shorten my learning curve regarding business. He has been fair, helped me quite a bit with setting up my books, and has encouraged me to charge more, even towards his own properties. I'm going to accept the investment as it will help me in the grand scheme of things. There is so much more to gain from this than a truck and mower.

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
I noticed you said you don't want to raise your prices because you don't want to be associated with a certain level of work that you feel you can't compete with. The bottom line is you should be able to do just as good of a job as any other company as long as you make sure things are done correctly and don't skimp on quality material or take short cuts.

If you want to be known as a budget company then you will be known as the cheap landscaper whose name is passed around among friends. You will make it very difficult to raise your prices to $50-60/hr at that point unless you want to alienate all customers and referrals.

You need to act like you are just as good as an established company and don't think you aren't worth just as much. Some of those companies have half brain dead employees doing their work so you shouldn't feel inferior.

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
1) The investor.

Yes, I understand this investor is in it for money. I understand he's expecting something in return. No, I am not going to do lawns for the rest of my life. I do not have the money for a formal education, nor do I have the money to start a larger-scale business. I am doing this in the meantime to generate capital for my next move. Chances are, however, I will never truly drop this company so much as just put it on the back burner.

That being said, I'm not worried about splitting profits. I would much rather make $100k next season and lose $20k than bring in $50k and lose nothing. My ego and my business are mutually exclusive, honestly it's all about what will get me further fastest. IF, however, you think that I will move along faster by myself, let me know and let me know why. As of now, I feel that having some decent start-up funding would eliminate years of work.

In this case, I'm fairly certain the investor/"partnership" will help tremendously, as it already has and he hasn't even helped financially. He has only helped shorten my learning curve regarding business. He has been fair, helped me quite a bit with setting up my books, and has encouraged me to charge more, even towards his own properties. I'm going to accept the investment as it will help me in the grand scheme of things. There is so much more to gain from this than a truck and mower.

An investor will give you a jump start at first but you really aren't ready to even be responsible for a answering to and putting the stress on yourself of getting him a return. You will move to fast and you should be starting slow, making that 50k and making little mistakes, you will get to the 100k soon enough, but it will feel so much better to have it all to yourself when you get to the 100k and above milestone.

I started with a beat up truck and no real savings and was still able to get two more trucks plus equipment, all with money I made as I went during my first year.

You just don't really hear from successful guys on here who had investors from the beginning. You probably won't have enough work to be busy full time anyway so why do you need the money for fancy equipment or whatever it is you want an investor for. Even with investment you will still probably only make 50k but will keep even less of it. If anything get a loan, which still isn't the greatest idea, but I think it's better than an investor unless he is just giving you a loan and not owning part of your business.

I think it's a terrible investment to make for him anyway in a business where so many guys take cash unreported, so this would be a guy who I'm assuming really trusts you and has known you a long time.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
When it comes to customer service
It doesn’t require much to compete
It requires service
I mean, any one can do that part.

Diagnosing plant health?
Building complex patios or decks?
You don’t do those things
If asked, simply admit that’s not in your skill set.

I don’t perform brain surgery or work with high voltage electricity
There’s nothing to be ashamed about, surprisingly I’ve been asked by customers about those two things more than a few times in my years of estimating residential properties.

When confronted with something you don’t know or don’t do there’s only two answers

I don’t do that.
Or let me look into that.

You might not know how to do something but know someone who does.
This leads to subcontracting
A topic for another thread.

However
For the work you are doing
Never think you are worth less money because you haven’t been doing it very long.
That’s more of a problem in our Industry than you can ever imagine
“I’m not a big company so I can’t charge high rates”
No no no no

Don’t think that
It’s bad ju ju

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
Yep it's not the type of business where you have to start low and give your company raises as you become more experienced. Just because jobs work like that does not mean it's how business should be done.

You don't have to charge as much as the highest priced companies, but you need to be at a price that lets you have a decent wage ($10-20/hr or the minimum you can live off in the beginning), cover your overhead and grow your business. Slowly.

To make things a little more clear, can you tell us what type of deal you picture with the investor? How much cash, how are they paid back, do they offer anything other than money, etc.

Charles

Moderator, Friend, Angel
1) The investor.

Work hard and build up your credit rating. Buy equipment as needed with growth. Go to night school at a technical college and get a business degree. Or do that in the off season if you have an off season.
About the investor. Now I could see that if he or she bought other businesses for you to run. Otherwise I don't see what good an investor would do you.

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
the late nutritionist norman walker from his book vegetarian diet & salad : HOW TO KNOW WHAT TO EAT AND HOW TO LIVE :
The fundamental purpose of eating is to replenish the chemical elements composing the cells and tissues in our body. Replenishment is one of the basic laws of Nature in regard to organic chemistry, and our physical body is a laboratory functioning under organic chemistry principles.
The food that we eat should nourish these cells and tissues. Unfortunately, because Nature gave to man a body so elastic, so far as taking punishment is concerned, that it can survive for years on food which is destructive to the body, but appealing to his appetite and palate, man has indulged these appetites until the race is perceptibly degenerating physically.
The body is the vehicle of the mind, and the mind is the vehicle of the intellect. The intellect is that part of the mind that we use in observing and reasoning.
If the body is permitted to degenerate, then the intellect cannot be expected to function or develop constructively, as the spiritual and mental faculties in man grow and expand in direct relation to the improvement, regeneration and purity of the physical body.
We look on sickness and disease as something mysterious and dreadful and we blame germs and bacteria.
As a matter of fact germs and bacteria are the scavengers of Nature and are everywhere. When we breathe, we inhale millions of these little natural scavengers and it is their function to keep the debris in our body neutralized and to stir it up so that it can be eliminated from the body. It is our job, however, to keep our body in such condition that this elimination can be completed to perfection.
Due to the excessive quantity of inorganic food that we eat, food in which the life principle has been destroyed by cooking, canning, and other processes, this debris, or end-product of the digestion of this food, in the body, accumulates faster than we and these natural scavengers can remove it. The result is that germs and bacteria find a feeding ground within us in which to propagate. In this process of their propagation the sewage of their colonies is added to the debris and the result s what we call sickness or disease.
Whenever germs and bacteria enter a body which is thoroughly clean and healthy, within and without, they find no feeding ground of waste or morbid matter therein on which to colonize and therefore pass out of the system in the natural course of events.
Likewise, when all debris and accumulated morbid matter is removed from a sick or diseased body, then only is the first step established toward a recovery to a normal chemical balance.
How does this debris and morbid matter get into the body? In two distinct ways.
First, through the food which is eaten to excess in inorganic form (cooked, etc.) which can neither be assimilated by the body for constructive purposes, nor be properly eliminated; and also by such unnatural elements as serums, vaccines, injections, etc. These cause deposits which the body is unable to throw off in the course of its normal functions, if the eliminative channels are in any way impaired.
Second, through the cells and tissues of the body which in the course of our activities are constantly used up and remain there as dead matter after furnishing physical and mental energy. These used-up cells should leave the body as soon as possible after they have served their function, but they remain in the system for unnecessarily long periods of time due to faulty elimination.
We can give here only briefly a few of the interesting reasons why nourishing the body properly is of such vital importance. A brief outline of the process that causes the greatest accumulation of debris in the body is necessary so that we may be guided intelligently in the selection and combination of our foods.
Let us take, for example, an individual, 40 years of age. Undoubtedly like the majority of his fellow men he has formed the habit of eating at least three meals a day. This will average more than 1,000 meals a year, or in excess of 40,000 meals during his lifetime of 40 years. It is very important that we bear this in mind.
We will also assume that, like most people, nearly all the food he has eaten has been cooked, canned or otherwise processed, and rarely, if ever, does he eat either a sufficient quantity of raw food, or a complete meal of nothing but raw vegetables and fruits. The result therefore is that more than 40,000 meals, composed mostly of dead food (or inorganic chemical elements) have passed through his system during that time.
It is impossible to regenerate organic cells in a human body with inorganic (or dead) matter. We find that while the 40,000 meals did serve the purpose of sustaining life, hardly any nourishment in organic form was eaten to regenerate the cells and tissues of his body or supply the chemical elements composing these.
As a matter of fact it is appalling to realize that the limit of tolerance of such a condition is usually reached by the time we are 40 or 50 years of age. The age at which mature judgment and experience have been gained, a period in life when we should know what life has in store for us, the very prime of life, but the age at which most men and women find themselves with a neglected body which is degenerating rapidly and is no longer an efficient vehicle in which to put that knowledge and experience into practical use, speedily heading for premature senility and the discard.
We know that the body requires fiber. The error in judgment is in the interpretation of what function the fiber is intended to perform. To be of any value whatever, the fiber in our food must be composed of the raw cellulose, or fiber, of raw vegetables and fruits eaten as nearly as possible in their natural ripe state.
When so eaten, after proper mastication, the digestive processes extract as many as possible of the chemical elements contained in the fibers. The remaining fiber goes through the intestines becoming, figuratively speaking, highly magnetized by means of the muscular kneading of their peristaltic action. Thus they draw into the intestines from every part of the body the used-up cells and tissues, eliminating these, as well as the debris resulting from normal digestion and the end-products thereof, through the colon, thereby acting both as an intestinal broom and as a vacuum cleaner.
When food has been cooked or processed in any manner or form, however, the fiber or cellulose is converted into an inorganic substance in which every vestige of life has been destroyed. The fiber being lifeless therefore can no longer work as a broom or as a vacuum cleaner, but operates instead like a mop (usually a slimy one) pushing matter along without any cleansing effect. Due to lack of magnetic attraction, which cannot be generated in dead fiber, it has no ability whatsoever to draw into the intestines used up cells and tissues from other parts of the body, nor any other toxic matter which may have accumulated therein.
Consider these two pictures. On the one hand an abundance of raw fibers passing through the digestive and eliminative tracts, acting as a cleansing broom and as a vacuum cleaner after every meal, three times a day, leaving not only a clean intestinal tract each time but also removing from the system other accumulated waste matter. On the other hand visualize the fiber of cooked, devitalized food (nearly always in excessive quantities) passing through the intestines and eliminative organs three times a day - 40,000 times or more in 40 years-every time leaving a coating. 40,000 coatings, be they ever so thin, are bound to leave their mark.
Man is the only member of the animal kingdom who, notwithstanding his supposedly higher intelligence, indulges his appetites at the expense of his body, and pampers these deliberately, without using common sense or good judgment, listening to the silky voice of deception telling him that food has nothing to do with the condition of his body.
With such a lack of knowledge it is not surprising that just when we have reached the age when our knowledge and experience are of value to us, for us to use to advantage, and we are really anxious to begin to LIVE, we find ourselves handicapped with a physical body which is ready for the discard, if not for the grave.
The problem therefore is to know how to change our eating habits to regenerate our body, without too much discomfort, and reactions too strong for the comfort of the mind or the vicissitudes of our daily life, and what will enable us to achieve eventually a healthy body free from fatigue, sickness and disease.

BigJlittleC

Banned
the late nutritionist norman walker from his book vegetarian diet & salad : HOW TO KNOW WHAT TO EAT AND HOW TO LIVE :
The fundamental purpose of eating is to replenish the chemical elements composing the cells and tissues in our body. Replenishment is one of the basic laws of Nature in regard to organic chemistry, and our physical body is a laboratory functioning under organic chemistry principles.
The food that we eat should nourish these cells and tissues. Unfortunately, because Nature gave to man a body so elastic, so far as taking punishment is concerned, that it can survive for years on food which is destructive to the body, but appealing to his appetite and palate, man has indulged these appetites until the race is perceptibly degenerating physically.
The body is the vehicle of the mind, and the mind is the vehicle of the intellect. The intellect is that part of the mind that we use in observing and reasoning.
If the body is permitted to degenerate, then the intellect cannot be expected to function or develop constructively, as the spiritual and mental faculties in man grow and expand in direct relation to the improvement, regeneration and purity of the physical body.
We look on sickness and disease as something mysterious and dreadful and we blame germs and bacteria.
As a matter of fact germs and bacteria are the scavengers of Nature and are everywhere. When we breathe, we inhale millions of these little natural scavengers and it is their function to keep the debris in our body neutralized and to stir it up so that it can be eliminated from the body. It is our job, however, to keep our body in such condition that this elimination can be completed to perfection.
Due to the excessive quantity of inorganic food that we eat, food in which the life principle has been destroyed by cooking, canning, and other processes, this debris, or end-product of the digestion of this food, in the body, accumulates faster than we and these natural scavengers can remove it. The result is that germs and bacteria find a feeding ground within us in which to propagate. In this process of their propagation the sewage of their colonies is added to the debris and the result s what we call sickness or disease.
Whenever germs and bacteria enter a body which is thoroughly clean and healthy, within and without, they find no feeding ground of waste or morbid matter therein on which to colonize and therefore pass out of the system in the natural course of events.
Likewise, when all debris and accumulated morbid matter is removed from a sick or diseased body, then only is the first step established toward a recovery to a normal chemical balance.
How does this debris and morbid matter get into the body? In two distinct ways.
First, through the food which is eaten to excess in inorganic form (cooked, etc.) which can neither be assimilated by the body for constructive purposes, nor be properly eliminated; and also by such unnatural elements as serums, vaccines, injections, etc. These cause deposits which the body is unable to throw off in the course of its normal functions, if the eliminative channels are in any way impaired.
Second, through the cells and tissues of the body which in the course of our activities are constantly used up and remain there as dead matter after furnishing physical and mental energy. These used-up cells should leave the body as soon as possible after they have served their function, but they remain in the system for unnecessarily long periods of time due to faulty elimination.
We can give here only briefly a few of the interesting reasons why nourishing the body properly is of such vital importance. A brief outline of the process that causes the greatest accumulation of debris in the body is necessary so that we may be guided intelligently in the selection and combination of our foods.
Let us take, for example, an individual, 40 years of age. Undoubtedly like the majority of his fellow men he has formed the habit of eating at least three meals a day. This will average more than 1,000 meals a year, or in excess of 40,000 meals during his lifetime of 40 years. It is very important that we bear this in mind.
We will also assume that, like most people, nearly all the food he has eaten has been cooked, canned or otherwise processed, and rarely, if ever, does he eat either a sufficient quantity of raw food, or a complete meal of nothing but raw vegetables and fruits. The result therefore is that more than 40,000 meals, composed mostly of dead food (or inorganic chemical elements) have passed through his system during that time.
It is impossible to regenerate organic cells in a human body with inorganic (or dead) matter. We find that while the 40,000 meals did serve the purpose of sustaining life, hardly any nourishment in organic form was eaten to regenerate the cells and tissues of his body or supply the chemical elements composing these.
As a matter of fact it is appalling to realize that the limit of tolerance of such a condition is usually reached by the time we are 40 or 50 years of age. The age at which mature judgment and experience have been gained, a period in life when we should know what life has in store for us, the very prime of life, but the age at which most men and women find themselves with a neglected body which is degenerating rapidly and is no longer an efficient vehicle in which to put that knowledge and experience into practical use, speedily heading for premature senility and the discard.
We know that the body requires fiber. The error in judgment is in the interpretation of what function the fiber is intended to perform. To be of any value whatever, the fiber in our food must be composed of the raw cellulose, or fiber, of raw vegetables and fruits eaten as nearly as possible in their natural ripe state.
When so eaten, after proper mastication, the digestive processes extract as many as possible of the chemical elements contained in the fibers. The remaining fiber goes through the intestines becoming, figuratively speaking, highly magnetized by means of the muscular kneading of their peristaltic action. Thus they draw into the intestines from every part of the body the used-up cells and tissues, eliminating these, as well as the debris resulting from normal digestion and the end-products thereof, through the colon, thereby acting both as an intestinal broom and as a vacuum cleaner.
When food has been cooked or processed in any manner or form, however, the fiber or cellulose is converted into an inorganic substance in which every vestige of life has been destroyed. The fiber being lifeless therefore can no longer work as a broom or as a vacuum cleaner, but operates instead like a mop (usually a slimy one) pushing matter along without any cleansing effect. Due to lack of magnetic attraction, which cannot be generated in dead fiber, it has no ability whatsoever to draw into the intestines used up cells and tissues from other parts of the body, nor any other toxic matter which may have accumulated therein.
Consider these two pictures. On the one hand an abundance of raw fibers passing through the digestive and eliminative tracts, acting as a cleansing broom and as a vacuum cleaner after every meal, three times a day, leaving not only a clean intestinal tract each time but also removing from the system other accumulated waste matter. On the other hand visualize the fiber of cooked, devitalized food (nearly always in excessive quantities) passing through the intestines and eliminative organs three times a day - 40,000 times or more in 40 years-every time leaving a coating. 40,000 coatings, be they ever so thin, are bound to leave their mark.
Man is the only member of the animal kingdom who, notwithstanding his supposedly higher intelligence, indulges his appetites at the expense of his body, and pampers these deliberately, without using common sense or good judgment, listening to the silky voice of deception telling him that food has nothing to do with the condition of his body.
With such a lack of knowledge it is not surprising that just when we have reached the age when our knowledge and experience are of value to us, for us to use to advantage, and we are really anxious to begin to LIVE, we find ourselves handicapped with a physical body which is ready for the discard, if not for the grave.
The problem therefore is to know how to change our eating habits to regenerate our body, without too much discomfort, and reactions too strong for the comfort of the mind or the vicissitudes of our daily life, and what will enable us to achieve eventually a healthy body free from fatigue, sickness and disease.
How does this relate to this conversation?

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
'' If you could teach your 22 year old self 5 things, whether it be about life in general or business specifically, what would they be? ''

Top Forums