iand

LawnSite Bronze Member
5 things I would tell my 22 year old self:

1)Take it easy on the booze and partying. 2)Choose your friends and role models more carefully. 3)Read more. 4)Spend more time with family. 5)Don't get any tattoos below the elbow.
They look ok but I think I would go with Number 1 as take these numbers in lotto on 08-19-18 (37 17 19 38 6 26) then you can retire with about 33 million :)
P.S I wouldn't go for earlier otherwise my life would be different to what it has been and it hasn't been to bad so I wouldn't want to change it

NinjaSteve

LawnSite Member
Dreamer, congratulations on dreaming & acting on those dreams!!

-- Be OK with being your UNIQUE self in the marketplace... there's room for your unique entry into the mix, so don't try to be someone else or provide someone else's solution. People will pay you well for solving a problem for them.

-- Being YOU does not require an investor... at least not at your current version of you. If you aren't ready (I'm speaking about business maturity) to really use the investment (be it funds, advice, whatever) then it will simply cause you to get bogged down or (even worst) get totally burnt out from "red-lining" the engine of YOU to play in a bigger arena than you are currently ready for. (Pro sports players often make things look easy... but very few, if any, recreational level players would be able to play at that level REGARDLESS the amount of coaching or funding being thrown their way. They need time to mature in their field. Maybe, after years of perfecting their skills... maybe... then, go really big)

Please don't take this as holding you back... you should take "baby steps" ... then "toddler steps" ... then after learning to balance... check out those skateboards & bicycles ;-)

Just sayin

OP
D

DeafDreamer

LawnSite Member
Dreamer, congratulations on dreaming & acting on those dreams!!

-- Be OK with being your UNIQUE self in the marketplace... there's room for your unique entry into the mix, so don't try to be someone else or provide someone else's solution. People will pay you well for solving a problem for them.

-- Being YOU does not require an investor... at least not at your current version of you. If you aren't ready (I'm speaking about business maturity) to really use the investment (be it funds, advice, whatever) then it will simply cause you to get bogged down or (even worst) get totally burnt out from "red-lining" the engine of YOU to play in a bigger arena than you are currently ready for. (Pro sports players often make things look easy... but very few, if any, recreational level players would be able to play at that level REGARDLESS the amount of coaching or funding being thrown their way. They need time to mature in their field. Maybe, after years of perfecting their skills... maybe... then, go really big)

Please don't take this as holding you back... you should take "baby steps" ... then "toddler steps" ... then after learning to balance... check out those skateboards & bicycles ;-)

Just sayin

Good stuff! Thank you! I'm glad you clarified as I did initially think "why wait? I only have so much time here, I may as well make the most of it", though I have been hearing the same thing from many different people. I have a tendency to put the cart before the horse. Gotta crawl before I walk lol

NinjaSteve

LawnSite Member
Good stuff! Thank you! I'm glad you clarified as I did initially think "why wait? I only have so much time here, I may as well make the most of it"

Trust me... most people would rather not look at the horse's rear all day, but you're correct -- the horse goes up front, then the cart ;-)

Remember that we all need water to live, but the simple truth is that too much water, to fast, will kill you.

NinjaSteve

LawnSite Member
Maybe this will help... Ask questions like these of yourself:
  • Where do I want this to be in 10 years?
  • Where do I need to be in 5 years to make that happen?
  • At what level do we need to operate in 3 years to reach the 5 year mark?
  • What needs to be reached in 18 months to move toward the 3 year goal?
  • What do I need to make happen over the next 12 months, 9 months, 6 months, 3 months to hit that 18 month milestone?
  • What is something I can do this month, this week, TODAY that will move toward the mark?
Then answer them for your own unique path (not simply copying the way someone else walked the trail)

zraffz

LawnSite Senior Member
Never start a business with a friend... I learned that the hard way and I also learned that guy I grew up with wasn't really a friend!

Purchase equipment, when possible, that your market demands in order to be efficient. Make sure you buy commercial brand stuff! If you are marketing big lawns, you want a big zero turn. If these lawns have crazy hills, you also want a walk behind mower. I have no idea how people make money with push mowers or ride on mowers when the right equipment cuts this time down by 75+%.

Do not buy specific equipment to cater towards one customer. Example, if only one person wants snow removal, do not go out and buy a snow plow. I am a bit of a hypocrite for this one because I bought a specific mower for one customer... this customer generated a tremendous amount of profit through many other jobs at her house though.

Keep spare equipment. When you replace that weed whacker, hang onto it so you have a backup. Same goes with your blower. I am solo (part time) and I have 3 backpack blowers and 2 weed whackers.

Learn to fix your own stuff. Nothing kills profits like paying $100/hour for labor. Sharpen your own blades, clean your own carburetors, change your own clutches, etc. You would have no clue the stuff I've found in the dumpster at work that was easy to fix... generators, weed whackers, chainsaws, cement mixer, hedge trimmers, and much more; and no, not homeowner model equipment. Most of the tools we use at work on a regular basis.

Save up for a real truck and trailer lol.

Last edited:

Top Forums