1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dealer or owner's manual?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by machsixer, Aug 28, 2006.

1. machsixer

machsixer LawnSite Member

I'm wondering if I should follow the dealer's advice on oil/filter change intervals or go by the owner's manual for same. I have a commercial Husqvarna iz5223 52 inch, 23hp Kawasaki unit.
    I've heard to go by the owner's manual because the dealer is only looking to make more $$ on parts/oil.
    This mower is used in a commercial operation.

Any advice?

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

You failed to state the difference between the two. I generally make a point to reduce the interval for oil & filter changes. Oil is a lot cheaper than a repair job or a new engine. The dirtier/dustier the conditions the more frequent I change my oil and filter.

3. machsixer

machsixer LawnSite Member

The dealer says change the oil/filter every 25hrs.
    The actual Kawasaki engine and Husqvarna owner's manual says change the oil every 100 hours and the oil filter every 200 hours which is obviously a big difference compared with the dealer. Which do I go with? I'm leaning towards the dealer since oil is relatively cheap compared with engine problems or reduced overall engine life.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I work for a Dealership/ Rental Store and all our equipment is serviced (oil changed and filter) every 50 hrs. And thats what I recommend to customers purchasing new equipment.