Dealer said lawn tractors cut better than ZTR...true?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by gogojuice, Sep 3, 2016.

1. gogojuice

gogojuice LawnSite Member

I'm having second thoughts on pulling the plug on a ZTR.

I have over 2 acres and have a simplicity regent. I love the cut. Stripes and mulch..no clippings visible...but it's old and can't take the bumps / wear and tear from the property.

I was looking at a ferris is2100z.....but the dealer, who sells a few different brands or ZTR and lawn tractors told me that a ZTR is never going to cut as good as my lawn tractor.

He went on to say that ZTR are for speed, not cut quality. Unless you bag it or multi cut the lawn.

So....now I'm 2nd guessing myself.

I have the manicured lawn with stripes......but don't want to end up getting a ZTR is it is going to cut worst

I have asked for a demo...but he won't be able to do it till next year. My simplicity won't make it that long.

Hope you guys can help

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of junk is he selling? I would think a simplicity ZTR would suit you well.

3. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

your dealer is dumb sorry to say he should be fired lol

multi-dealer I find tends to be the worst at everything knowledge, prices, over sight, at least around here

13Razorbackfan, Mr Stripe and ericg like this.
  4. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow some dealer you got there. Just because it will go 10-12mph doesn't mean you have to cut it at those speeds. Most seem to do best in the 6-8 range. Might wanna check with another dealer,but if you got the money i would not hesitate to get the z & save yourself tons of time. Not to mention cutting the lawn just got fun again.. Maybe he was just having a bad day.. lol..

5. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

The only thing I can think to say is that most people run their lawn tractors at literally 1mph. Blades as sharp as a golf club would leave A nice cut at that speed.

Seriously....the configuration of the mower has little to do with quality of cut. It's all in the deck, ground speed, blades and blade speed.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Most lawn, or lawn and garden tractors, do cut great, but as mentioned above a couple times, the speed you mow at has more to do with the look of the cut than the machine that made it, provided of course that any machine has good blades, a properly pitched and leveled deck etc. I use both a garden tractor and a ZTR as well as 21" WB's.

I'm in favor of HO's getting a good lawn tractor, because I believe they'll be better served and happier in the end. A ZTR takes some time to get the hang of, especially if it is your first one, you have any hills, and they tend to tear turf on turns when a lawn tractor never would, will, or does. I've been seeing a ton of HO's here getting ZTR's, mainly smaller ones tp lower end commercial mowers, and I rarely see one do a 3 pt turn. They have a zero turn, and by golly, they're gonna do one LOL

GrassManKzoo, 71GTX, gfwjr2 and 4 others like this.
  7. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

lol all excited and doughnut time

on subject a dealer tells me what he told him whew I'd get PO'd so false but riders setup right do cut well you can show them lol

Ridin' Green and Mr Stripe like this.
  8. HeadScratcher

HeadScratcher LawnSite Senior Member

True dat! I have a neighbor who does that. When I walk my dog and he's mowing and we're both going the same direction, it's easy to see that I'm walking faster than he's moving. Mow 2 acres at that speed and you'll spend 4 hours mowing your lawn instead of 45 minutes. No thanks.

Mr Stripe likes this.
  9. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Or maybe he sells all kinds of ztr's and so has a whole bunch of lawn tractors to move. What a moron.

10. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Some of us are overly proud of our stripes and I'm sure those that are not interested in it get irritated but can you do this with a lawn tractor??

20160819_100107.jpeg

20160722_134205.jpeg

20160513_180557.jpg

20160513_155244-1.jpg

Ridin' Green likes this.