1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Dealing w/ partial Zoysia lawns

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Whitey4, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. Whitey4

    Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,448

    I have picked up a couple of new accounts with lawns that have large sections of zyosia, maybe 55% of the turf, with some cool season rye/blue mixes on the other 45%. Small properties, maybe 4k of turf at the most.

    I know zyosia needs to be dethatched, but how the heck do I put together a plan for these properties, considering that any aeration, power rake, slit seeders or dethatching machines I would have to rent. I can't see dethatching the zoysia and slit seeding the cool season grasses later on... that sounds like too much trouble and too expensive.

    I hate the idea of raking the stuff... too labor intensive. Should I just bite the bullet and take a hit on renting a power rake? One account in particular is very cost sensitive, a elderly woman. It would be hard to bill out the overhead on renting two kinds of machines. Besides, I like to do my over seeding in the fall.

    Is there any simpler, easier way to deal with these half an half lawns? Man, I hate zoysia.
  2. lawnpro724

    lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,201

    If you have to rent all your equipment wait until you have several lawns to do the same day then go and rent the machines you need. Doing all of them the same day will break up to cost of the machines and enable you to make a profit. If your going to be dethatching make sure the machine you get has a bag, it makes cleanup much easier.

Share This Page