Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is for you florida guys. We are rolling into Sat. and I still have almost 1/2 my route to finish. Since it's been raining for days, do you guys start the beginning of the week where you left off, or do you just start your route over and skip the ones you couldn't do? I haven't had to deal with this much rain since I started my LCO, so I'm not sure what to do. Comments and advice is appriciated, thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ive worked threw the rain to get my better yards taken care of, monday il start on mondays work, let it cycle threw like a normal week.

earlier this week someone posted their rain policy, it was good i think il steal it
it was; if missed 1 day il be there the next day or two, if three days il resume next week
i like this

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
It's been a strange week for sure. Some of our lawns are debris fields or are so soggy they can not be cut. And others are just fine and no worse for the foot of water that fell on them.

We got ahead early in the week. I anticipated a rain out on Tuesday, so we managed to get a lot of Tuesday's accounts done on Monday. I had actually worked in two meetings with customers on Tuesday thinking that would be our rain day. It wasn't. I screwed up there. We should have gotten a lot of Wednesday's work done then.

We actually did most of our Friday lawns today, as they were some of the cleanest and least soggy. That leaves us with most of Wednesdays, all of Thursdays and a couple Friday lawns. We'll play catch up with some of the better ones this weekend. And whatever doesn't get done by Monday will be skipped. It's out of our control. If customers can't understand that, I can't make them understand it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ive worked threw the rain to get my better yards taken care of, monday il start on mondays work, let it cycle threw like a normal week.

earlier this week someone posted their rain policy, it was good i think il steal it
it was; if missed 1 day il be there the next day or two, if three days il resume next week
i like this
pretty much how im going to handle it. but im going to try and do some of fridays yards sunday if they dry out enough.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I worked all monday and got a good part of tue done because that was the rain day.Yea right.I pulled out tue to try and get some done before the rain and it started pooring at the gas station so we waited an hour and it did'nt stop so took it in.Got stuck pulling in the back so when it stopped raining I could'nt work.I worked wed in the rain and got wed and the rest of tue finished.At home thur and fri.So we'll put that in tomorrow.All my crappy houses get skipped and nothing got edged or will get edged and no detail.I also left all my nice houses to keep from leaving marks in the turf.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I appriciate the advice. I guess I'll do what I can do. I found when the turf is soggy, it leaves bad tracks in the turf. It has to have a dry out period. If the customers can't understand the recent conditions, hell with them. It's common sense! We've had days of rain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After all this rain I came up with an idea......

I was still behind a few cuts on my weekly accounts so I did this today....

I showed up and explained the conditions to each customer that I was behind... I then told them that I would clean-up all the debris from the storm in lieu of mowing this week. I cleaned up the downed limbs, raked a little and now I will deal with the taller grass next week on those accounts. I did most of it in the rain!!!!LOL!!!

Long story short....they were very happy I showed up and did something.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Tomorrow I will get to deal with two extremes. One customer who pays extra no matter how much debris falls. He threw in an extra $100 last month for 20 minutes of debris cleanup.

On the other end I have one that thinks that if it is smaller than fallen tree, it's included. They might even try to con you into cutting up the tree. It's a beauty too. No fewer than 90 trees with at least a 5" trunk on about a 1/4 acre. I went by there this afternoon just before it started pouring again. The place is a disaster. I got back in the truck and left.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've been trying to come up with some sort of "storm" policy regarding debris and such.

Does anyone prorate bills do to this sort of thing? I prorated a couple of mine that I skipped that are better clients and I wanted to prorate them just to be nice. The others I'm not planning on it unless they call and complain.

I guess it would be nice to have a formal "delayed" policy to send out to everyone.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was talking to my neighbor today about this very same thing. He is also an LCO. He had the same opinion I did. We have no control over mother nature. We will NOT put a 1000 lb machine on a lawn that has had 18-25 inches of rain dumped on it in 4 days. If any customers want to ***** this week I will explain that I could have cut this weekend but with the ground as saturated as it is their yard would look like a dump truck drove all over it. And if they want to complain about missing a cut and still getting billed for it... I will quickly explain to them I can discount them a cut this month but they will be getting a bill for the extra cut they got last month in the 5 week month that they did not pay for.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was talking to my neighbor today about this very same thing. He is also an LCO. He had the same opinion I did. We have no control over mother nature. We will NOT put a 1000 lb machine on a lawn that has had 18-25 inches of rain dumped on it in 4 days. If any customers want to ***** this week I will explain that I could have cut this weekend but with the ground as saturated as it is their yard would look like a dump truck drove all over it. And if they want to complain about missing a cut and still getting billed for it... I will quickly explain to them I can discount them a cut this month but they will be getting a bill for the extra cut they got last month in the 5 week month that they did not pay for.
Exactly! Im waiting till atleast wednesday to start my thurseday route, just went ahead and skipped the week. It has still rained sat/sun ><

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.