Dealing with nuisance customers. Swallow your pride or fire them?

grigs04

LawnSite Member
Raise there price for next year. That’s what I usually do. You have to get paid for your time and there using your time every time they call you or have to stop and talk to you when your at the job site. Make them pay for that time. If they become too big of a problem then drop them. Not worth the stress. Specially if there not a big money client. If you need the revenue just go find a couple more jobs that equal what your getting from the bad customers than do what I said.

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like you want/need the work. If you get rid of them, that will open up more time and give you more incentive to find new clients to replace them... or you could just finish the year for them.

Only you can decide how much more you can deal with. Eventually you will get to the point where you won't tolerate the BS anymore. Sounds like you're almost there.

Oworks1

LawnSite Member
We are constantly looking for customers that better suit our needs. Just like the customer is. If clients are late payers, a pain in the neck or just unreasonable, we offer them the opportunity to work with someone that will be better for them.

If you do landscaping as well, remember, new clients initially cost more in labor. Subsequent years cost less because you are not starting over, you are just sprucing things up. Spring cleanup and trimming/pruning is much easier after the first season you have the property.

iand

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've had clients in sub-divisions who are next door neighbors in the past say "why does the neighbors yard look so much better?" Then explain that they pay us for spraying or whatever additional services.
Reminds me of the client that asked why his neighbors yard looked better than his and I said because I mow theirs the way I think it should be mown and mow yours the way you think it should be mown,he still wouldn't agree to me changing the way I mowed his lawn :) I only kept doing it because his wife begged me not to quit when I tried and I only rarely had to see him and they paid well

gcbailey

LawnSite Gold Member
Reminds me of the client that asked why his neighbors yard looked better than his and I said because I mow theirs the way I think it should be mown and mow yours the way you think it should be mown,he still wouldn't agree to me changing the way I mowed his lawn :) I only kept doing it because his wife begged me not to quit when I tried and I only rarely had to see him and they paid well
One thing about it, not sounding smart or anything like that but "we" are supposed to be the professionals and "we" are supposed to know what "we" are doing and educate our clients on how their lawn should be treated. I've never allowed clients to dictate mowing height to us. That's one thing up front if people want their lawn scalped, nope. I've had clients that I've told them to give me half a season and see if their lawn doesn't look better than ever.

The LCO community has gotten a bad rap due to the number of hacks, weekend warriors and whoever else that thinks all you have to do is engage a PTO and let it rip. If they hired an electrician and they said "you need #10 THHN wire vs #12 for this outlet" the client wouldn't question it because the electrician is the "pro". However LCO's on the other hand due to the fact that "anyone" can do it they think they know just as much as the "pro".

iand

LawnSite Bronze Member
One thing about it, not sounding smart or anything like that but "we" are supposed to be the professionals and "we" are supposed to know what "we" are doing and educate our clients on how their lawn should be treated. I've never allowed clients to dictate mowing height to us. That's one thing up front if people want their lawn scalped, nope. I've had clients that I've told them to give me half a season and see if their lawn doesn't look better than ever.

The LCO community has gotten a bad rap due to the number of hacks, weekend warriors and whoever else that thinks all you have to do is engage a PTO and let it rip. If they hired an electrician and they said "you need #10 THHN wire vs #12 for this outlet" the client wouldn't question it because the electrician is the "pro". However LCO's on the other hand due to the fact that "anyone" can do it they think they know just as much as the "pro".
And when the government passes legislation dictating the height lawns have to be mown like they have for what size,type and length of wire an electrician has to use I will worry about it more but in the mean time if someone wants to pay me around $100p/h to stuff their lawn by mowing it the way they want who am I to argue,note if I wasn't doing the neighbours and had that looking great and his wife hadn't begged me to continue I wouldn't have bothered doing it

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic

My favorites are the ones that live adjacent to a golf course and want their turf mowed at the same height.