1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with pecan...ugggg

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rbljack, Nov 22, 2017.

1. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ok, I'm looking for tips on how to deal with the bumper crops of pecans that fall off the trees and end up in the yards. I had a customer today that wanted them raked and saved. They have st Augustine grass, so I had to rake up what I could. I did NOT bid the job correctly, and it took way longer than it should have to clean up the yard.

So now I'm looking for other options. I mowed the tall grass down first, used the blower where I could, but I in the thicker grass areas, no dice.

I have 2 stihl KM130 power heads, and was wondering if anyone has tried using the Power bristle broom, or the paddle for this type of application?? Anyone try this, or have another method for quickly removing the pecans from a yard?? Looking for tips...thanks!

2. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

As silly as this is going to sound . I let a older guy come get pecans from under my trees. He brought his 2 granddaughters. They used the pecan pickers. He used a shop vac . Bet he filled up the shop vac 3 times in the hour he was there.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would tell him picking up Pecans is not in my job description. Wouldn't a shop vac pick up a lot of dirt, bugs and grass too? Yea they make a special tool called a Pecan Picker. Still that would be time consuming. Don't see how it would be profitable work. Now if your wife makes Pecan pie and the customer will give you some.. Might get some pointers in:D

kemco likes this.
  4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

Wye Oak Tree and hort101 like this.
  5. rbljack

from Texas

yeah I know..its definitely a dilemma. I may just have to try the power broom or paddle. Whether they are saved or not, for a leaf clean up under pecan trees...those damn pecans need to be raked/removed. There are piles of them sometimes. I was hoping somebody could chime in about the effectiveness of the Stihl Paddle or bristle broom.

Same problem for the guys back east with acorns I must imagine?? In case I didn't mention it before...I hate leaf season! I need to rethink my pricing structure for leaf clean up/ nutjobs....LOL.

hort101 and RDALawns like this.
  6. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Typically jobs I hate doing I don't have to do often. Lol that's the reason I don't get many leaf jobs . I price myself out of the job . And picking up pecans not going to happen. If I wanted to do that I'd pick up my own pecans.

Charles likes this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Yeah they'll workThumbs UpThumbs Up
    I bet you get similar results with the power paddle

8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Power broom kicks butt, I've used one here before with another member. Very versatile

kawasaki guy and hort101 like this.
  9. rbljack

from Texas

So to be sure we are on the same page....the power broom meaning the one with the bristles correct (not the paddles). If they work good, I am going to order one ASAP!!

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick type Power Brooms (rubber paddle) work great for gravel transferred to turf during snow plowing, come spring. They should do fine for nuts. I’ve not used the bristle head.