Lawn Care Forum banner

Dealing with Spray Tanks in the Winter

8K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  WestGaPineStraw 
#1 ·
Anybody have any suggestions or current methods that they use to easily pickle their spray tanks (to be used easily the next day). We have struggled for years to have our trucks ready to spray on days that the temperature has been freezing the night before. Any ideas or current methods would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Yikes! You have to spray one day, the temps freeze overnight, and then spray the next day?? Yeow!!
Sounds like you need to arrange for some indoor storage.
We are fortunate enough to be able to pull the spray trucks inside if that is the issue. I am not sure of a product to "pickle" the liquids overnight.

#4 ·
We have freezing issues and have been sucessful with covering the tank/ pump/reel with a heavy blanket. Inside the blanked area we hang a 75 watt drop light. That will keep everything unfrozen overnight.

The next problem is the pump. reel freezing as you drive to the worksite.
A truck cigarette lighter powered heating pad will help.

If you purchase a padded horse blanket cover and leave it in place until your on site will work also.

We use camper anti-freeze in the units after season wraps up.

#5 ·
In the fall--since our water comes from Lake Michigan--it is still fairly warm, say about 45 degrees--so if we fill at night--essentially we have a huge volume of warm water to carry us through the night. If we expect 27 degrees or below we cover the skid sprayer with a tarp to protect the pump and reel. At times we have recirculated the spray solution back into the tank in the morning so that the pump and reel are filled with 45 degree water. Well water would work about the same. Permagreen stays inside.
My suggestion, if you don't have a garage, cover pump and reel with electric blanket or heating pad with a tarp over that. Dial low, med or high. Most have a safety thermostat to prevent overheating your bed for safety. Light bulb could start a fire.

#6 ·
Potash in the mix will help some. It will decrease the freezing temp by about 6 degrees if I remember correctly(depending on rates used)I have used packing blankets and a drop light in the past with plastic over that especially if it was going to rain or snow or an extended cold spell. Not this year. I have been slowly moving into my new shop I've had built by my house. It's been a long time coming. All you really have to do is keep the pump and reel above 32 degrees. I've often wondered if a large BBQ grill cover or maybe a waterproof ATV cover might have been the thing to use along with the drop light.

#13 ·
As cold as it has been here in GA there has been a couple methods I have used.

-Do not use the tank unless air temp is above 35.
-wrap your pump to prevent the windchill hitting it while driving to the job
-park it in shop/garage...if air temp is below 35 start your system and leave it agitating.
- since its winter you should not have many weeds...USE GRANULAR

Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.