Dear Thumbtack,

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grassmonkey0311, Apr 11, 2018.

1. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

Dear Thumbtack,

Years ago I thought your service was on the right path. Not quite perfect, but on the right path. You helped grow my business while not paying an arm and a leg. I could be selective on my bids knowing there were only 5 others I was competing with. The customer selection at the time was decent, not the crap I see now. I miss the days when only 5 providers could bid. And also getting their contact info once I paid to play.

What happened? Now I see about 10 providers bidding every time. And this 'instant match' garbage, WTF?! Get rid of it. And for those 'hood' names people enter like 'P Fuz"....yeah, no thanks. If we're paying money for a quote, at least make them put a real (or what we think is real) name.

The junk I see now is insane. Requests for specific dates and times? Requests saying the customer must be there? I've offered insane deals to see if anyone actually goes with me, but they don't. I've also checked the 'insights' feature to see how many customers actually hire a pro, the hiring rate is very low. You folks turned a decent service into a tire kickers dream.

Sincerely,
    A Former Thumbtack User

PS: Remember the time Google punished you and your 1st page rankings tanks? That was hilarious!

hort101, Bcoogan23, Todd73 and 2 others like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone have any success with this in 2018? Or is it still the same garbage?

3. Eric502

Eric502 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Kentucky

My participation was very limited in 2018 with it. Like you, their policy changes, and the way they began to conduct business did not fair to well with me. It is up in the air how much I will use it this year. At the end of 2018 they left a bad taste in my mouth when I was contacted by their admins via email and asked to provide proof that I was who I said I was. Basically since (what I can surmise anyway) because I use my middle name on FB and they have me on record as using my first name (for official purposes). So I had to supply them with a copy of my drivers license or be deleted.

hort101 and grassmonkey0311 like this.