Debating on a Gravely PT 152 or Scag Tiger cat 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Mownmachine144, Jul 19, 2019.

?

Debating between Gravely and a Scag

1. Gravely PT 152

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Scag Tiger Cat II

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

Those Deere's aren't really fair comparison to the scag or exmark. The 960 has 15% more hp so of coarse it will be a bunch more $. To be fair you need to compare the deere 930 for a fair machine price.

If you are willing to spend the extra 1-1.5k get the bigger Deere's and blow that scag away.

The exmark isn't even a option with their stupid prices. That's the most expensive by alot, but only the S series so a smaller not as beefy of a machine.

Elite Lawn Pros likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I have all those dealers local too.
    My dealer I have a good relationship with, has Scag, Gravely, Ferris, etc.

Elite Lawn Pros likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Mownmachine144

Anybody?:rolleyes::waving:

4. LeroyMower

LeroyMower LawnSite Member

Like you, I will be purchasing a 52/54 deck mower with the same budget. I'm really leaning toward the Grasshopper 226V-G4 with ZT4400 hydros and 26 HP Vanguard. No other manufacturer puts this combo together at that price point!

5. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

I have a PT160 that I'm considering selling which has mainly been used on my personal acre property. It has 75 hours on it. I just completed a full service on all filters, fluids, plugs, etc. I'm located just east of Dallas. I'm considering a new Ferris because the dried gumbo clay soil conditions have been rocking my world.

2011-10-07_13-07-27_209.jpg

2011-10-07_13-07-05_872.jpg

2011-10-07_13-07-44_280.jpg

Mownmachine144 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Mownmachine144

That looks nice, TX is far from here. Think that's like an 12h drive from here. 60" is a little big for the yards i maintenance.

7. OP
    OP
    Mownmachine144

Tested out a Scag Tiger cat II 2 weeks ago. My thoughts, transmissions were very smooth. I like the fact it has the pumps and wheel motors over the transaxle, The deck is thick and looks very well built, like the kawi engine on it, i like the monitor system on it too. It is very very fast to what I'm used to. It is very easy to get to the deck so to the whole platform coming up and it locks in up position. It seems like they have did some tweeking to the caster wheels. I know the older Tiger cat 2 had some skinny front tires. But the one on the 2019 model had nice wide tires. The seat is comfortable to, but to me comfort is not a big issue, the quality of the unit and cut quality. I didn't get to see how it cuts but I've seen others that use them and it leaves the place looking very nice.

8. OP
    OP
    Mownmachine144

Other thing I thought was a cool feature was the engine cover. It would be good for keeping some of the rain off of the engine when It starts to rain all of a sudden when mowing.

9. OP
    OP
    Mownmachine144

So far I'm Sold! Don't have anything bad to say about it from looking all around it and operating it. I haven't Tried the gravely PT 152 yet. Still plan to when I get a chance. I've also tried a John Deere 648 stander and JD 930m Ztr with rear tweels. The stander felt nice to use. The 930m wasn't that exciting. The controls were not that smooth IMO.

10. LeroyMower

LeroyMower LawnSite Member

Good luck with the TC 2! - as I mentioned in my prior post I ended up purchasing the 2019 52" Grasshopper 226V-G4 out the door with folding ROPS and flex forks for 7700.00 - It's gonna be a fun spring! I'm convinced Grasshopper would sell a ton more of these with a different paint scheme...... - can't beat it component for component tho!