1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Debating on a Gravely PT 152 or Scag Tiger cat 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Mownmachine144, Jul 19, 2019.

?

Debating between Gravely and a Scag

1. Gravely PT 152

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Scag Tiger Cat II

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

They are fugly no doubt! I still can't get over the colors. So 1980's Chevy Silverado!

LeroyMower likes this.
  2. LeroyMower

LeroyMower LawnSite Member

I've wrapped my head around their design philosophy (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). It is after all an implement for cutting grass, and after a few seasons all those pretty colored machines get dirty and don't look the same. I got one that already looks like dirt new, lol! Seriously though, I looked at 25 ZTR manufacturers determined to get the best "commercial" unit in my price point. I compared engines, hydros, decks, warranties, reviews, etc for months! (me wife thinks I'm insane!) This model Grasshopper checked all the right boxes for me - totally overengineered in most respects - great value for the $$$. Thanks for the thread - definitely took a hard look at both of your choices!

douglee25 likes this.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Deere 930m with tweels NOT SMOOTH? I've owned Toro, Gravely, and now Deere and by far Deere has the smoothest hydro setup for us. I will tell you a large frame Deere will blow that Gravely 152 and that TCII away without one doubt. No comparison...and then you add tweels.

4. OP
    OP
    Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

It could have been the way they have the tension set on the sticks. It felt real lose. I'm more used to really touchy controls not lose. It could be because my gravely isn't all the way broken in yet and the demo model I tested had 150 something hrs on it.

5. OP
    OP
    Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

And to be honest.. I don't really like having the same thing as most of the lawn care and landscaping guys out here. Which 60-70% of most LC and LS use John Deere mowers in my area. It's kind of like how you see camaro's all the time and you like how it looks, but you don't want to have something that everyone has.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I get it....nice to have different machines than all the other guys.

Mownmachine144 likes this.
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Scag or deere for sure. Might ruffle a few feathers but f^ck huge hydros. Only thing they are good for is robbing massive amounts of power and that is the exact reason the two deere machines I demo'd each for a week were vastly under powered. I mean embarrassingly so. Love love love our TCII

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Nevermind. I found the answer