Dec-Jan apps

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
I like to know how some company's feel good about what they do when they are fertilizing a yard in Dec and Jan. I know some of yall are going to argue about this but by fertilizing in Dec or Jan has no purpose at all. Unless you put down 100% slow release it will do some good in March but really who going to pay that price. I have two company's Tru-green and another mom and pop company who is pretty big that are out in Dec and Jan. The grass has shut down by then and the plant is not taking in the food. By spring the fert has leach out. When I send out my letters in Jan I'm going to ask the question. Do you feel like your yard is getting the best care when it's being treated in Dec or Jan? No. Call me. I know these company have that many yards that they have to do them at that time but it's not right and I 'm going after those yards hard.

dKoester

LawnSite Gold Member
I'm with you. I don't see any viable reason why especially for fertilizer. Maybe they are putting down something else.

OP
S

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
I understand if they were putting down lime or if the soil test shows low on P or K, but no these company's are fertilizing. Drove by in my wife van and one company had Southern State triple ten.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
we dont fert that late, but as the grass is shutting down we do. it sticks around here and greens up for spring