Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question.I had a client call me to cut his grass ASAP.The reason was because His Wife died. He wanted the lawn to look good for the mourners that were coming.This client is very frugal CHEAP,so I went out and double cut his lawn and Bagged it. gave him my premium service, weeds on street removal and cracks , the whole 9 yards. Naturally no charge even though he's a 2 weeker. How do you guys handle when a clients Kinfolk dies.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by bobby perez
ju Naturally no charge even though he's a 2 weeker. How do you guys handle when a clients Kinfolk dies.
I'm assuming you mean you didn't charge for the extra work, but charged your regular rate.

I usually do something similar, try to help out in a rough situation.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A little off topic but, last September my father passed away. I got to my parents house which was a duplex and you could have baled it. They live 250 miles away in Rhode Island. After we made the arrangements at the funeral home, I called the landlord with a severe case of attitude. He was supposed to have it cut every 2 weeks but the lawn service was too expensive. It had not been cut for almost 2 months. Anyway, I asked a very nice neighbor to borrow his brand new mower and trimmer, and he did. He would not take a penny from me, so I gave him my card and thanked him. Point of the story, a little bit of charity is not forgotten at a time like that. And yes my mom did get $ back for him not keeping up his part of the contract thanks to a son who does not like to have his parents stepped on. A little winded but thanks for listening.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
there has been times where I don't even charge for the service. Because why should they worry about paying bills at the time of a death.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
i would do it this one time for free. also hand him a card with a few bucks in it. i have never lost a family member, its gotta be the worst thing that can happen.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If it was someone I had been mowing for awhile, I would do it for free. When a person is trying to make funeral arrangements, the last thing they need to worry about is cutting the grass.

When my husband was seriously hurt, I had a lot of people offering to help me in different ways, and I'll tell you, it means a lot when people step up when you need them.

Hopefully, this customer will remember your good deed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If it makes you feel good about yourself, then you should do it.

The question you have to ask yourself is, "does it really take me that long to cut this?"

Most businesses are always coming up with giveaways and discounts...it's good P.R.

Plus, it's just a nice thing to do for someone who's in a time of need.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
You all have a sympathetic heart.

Honestly, with me. Business as usual. I bill monthly not per visit.
With us, every month there is a death, sometimes more than one. My clients are not the type that need a free week. Though I do have some special interest elders that we are more than nice to.

Now that is not to say that I would not or have not told them to consider the bill paid in full. It is situational with us.

More often I never know there was a death. Till they tell me months later or the next year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.