Deciding on a ferris mower

blueblue

LawnSite Member
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Been reading a lot about equipment etc over the last few weeks.

The gist is I need a new mower and I want something that leaves a good quality of cut within a reasonable budget. I was only looking at commercial grade equipment because of the size of my lawn (approximately 50k) and I do help out my neighbour sometimes (30k). I mow mine twice a week atleast to follow the 1/3rd rule strictly. Sometimes it gets to three when I am heavily fertilizing. The lawn is irrigated and fertilized throughout the year.

I have dealer support for scag, ferris, Toro, Wright, walker, JD, spartan, grasshopper and exmark (and most decent brands that are out there) with in a 20 mile radius and all seem nice but I dont have any big references or anything.

There are 2 areas of my property which have steeper hills, one which is next to a very busy road and I've seen a ztr slip down from it (granted it was a very old and reconditioned model)

The second are a few not so steep hills but they retain water quite well and I have gotten stuck in them in the spring season on the same mower.

Keeping this in mind, I thought a commercial walkbehind might be the way to go.

Looking at a 2020 new ferris FW35 with the 24hp Kawi and 61" deck for $5499+tax. They demoed it on the hill and it went well (didnt cut)

Then I saw a 2020 IS2100 52" vanguard 28hp with suspension seat for $8699+tax which seems a more comfortable deal.

Is there any particular deal that you guys would feel is better? Both will go on a 0% finance.

Curvevall: Might need to sell in 3 years or so if we move ..

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Last edited:

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
How steep is your slope? I measured mine and it's 17 degrees by my calculations or 19 using a 2x4 on its side and an iphone. It runs about 800 feet along a busy road.

i had to crawl on it with ZTR but have zero issues with my Ferris Stander (srs z2). I have pictures somewhere on here with the hill. It's not anything crazy, but it works great for that.

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
I probably wouldn't get a sit down for that unless I was going straight up and down.

Just make sure you're figuring degrees and not % slope. I've seen that get confused a few times by people. 17 degree slope is 31% slope.

If your is 25 degrees I might be inclined to go with a walk behind. I have a part on mine that does get to 20 degrees or slightly more. the stander holds just as well. pas that it would be ok for short mows, i wouldn't want to hold it for long and if I had a safe runout at the bottom i'd go for it.

If it's a 25% slope then a ZTR might come back into the equation and that's easy on a stander so make sure you're figuring the right calculation.

jeffie b

LawnSite Member
The last thing you want to do is loop that baby and end up in the road. That steep of slope I and most guys on here can tell when you really lose one you are along for the ride and welcome to the site!

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
If the run off was into a busy road, I’d be walking. I just assume it was like mine and the top was the road. If I’d ever lose it, I go into a flat field.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Can you even get a mower?
Lots of manufacturers are backed up
Units are months out
Better buy one now before the floor models are all gone!

OP
B

blueblue

LawnSite Member
That's what I am scared of to be honest. I have slipped down but it was a Sunday and traffic was much less. Thankfully I didn't roll over.

I can get it. They dont have any fw45 and they are backed up but I can get the fw35?

Price wise do these look okay?

Top Forums