1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Deciding on a lawn irrigation contractor

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DSommers, Oct 10, 2019.

1. DSommers

DSommers LawnSite Member

New member--Homeowner who is comparing quotes from 2 qualified lawn irrigation contractors. The quotes are almost identical--an 8 zone system with 32 Rainbird 5000 rotors

Quote 1--calls for Rain bird 5000 series rotors / Irritrol #2600 valves / Wilkins 375 back flow preventer / Hunter Pro C controller

Quote 2---Rainbird 5000 series PRS rotors / Irritrol #2400T valves / Febco 825Y backflow preventer / Rainbird ESP-MEI controller

BOTH include a Rainbird rain sensor

Prices are with in 10%--contractors both are qualified --one is 15 years in this business--the other is 35 years in

My main question is which controller is preferrable--since that's my interface with this system--my ongoing point of contact with it

MANY THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE
    DAVE

2. Prefectturfnj

Prefectturfnj LawnSite Member

I honestly feel both controllers are pretty user friendly especially the pro c so it really would just be up to you on who you decided to go with most contractors will show you how to operate your controller and most have the instructions inside the panel . You really don’t want to go crazy changing anything after it’s set so you would only need to know how to preform your manual start if you felt you needed to run a cycle ... if you pay a little extra on the esp model you can get the WiFi module and download the app and be able to do some stuff from your phone like run zones etc

3. OP
    OP
    DSommers

DSommers LawnSite Member

appreciated--both quotes include the wi fi phone app
    Otherwise--the other hardware looks comparable (the model numbers are slightly different but similar)?

4. Prefectturfnj

Welll the rotors are a tad different the regular 5000 rotors in quote one , and quote two the 5000 rotors are pressure regulated

And the pro c model I don’t believe is offered in a WiFi model unless your talking about the hydro wise controller ,

overall I would probably go with the more experienced designer and installer or ask questions to both about why they chose them products ?

5. OP
    OP
    DSommers

DSommers LawnSite Member

My water pressure is very good--but not out of range for these
    What's the advantage of pressure regulated? (when a shower is taken or toilet flushed it's compensated for?)
    is the Pressure regulated feature important?--is this a newer product??
    THANK YOU !

6. Prefectturfnj

It’s just a efficiency thing
    instead of having 7 heads on a zone and the pressure ranging all over and the heads not all putting out the same pressure you get uneven performance .... so the PRS model will make sure each head is balanced at its recommended psi resulting in less water waste and better performance essentially saving water and that saves $$

7. OP
    OP
    DSommers

DSommers LawnSite Member

thanks
    I've got 8 zones and 32 heads--so basically 4 heads per zone
    Does this effect this (my need for the PRS rotors)? Plus I live in St Louis where we basically have free water (at least there isn't going to be any water shortages around here--in my life time)
    THANKS!

8. Prefectturfnj

you can still use PRS heads it’s just keeping the pressure balanced across the zone , obv that contractor likes to install them heads for a reason as I’m not in your area you would be better off talking to him on why he chose them heads

9. OP
    OP
    DSommers

DSommers LawnSite Member

for sure
    thanks for your input

Prefectturfnj likes this.
  10. top_gun_de

top_gun_de LawnSite Member
    from Germany

I guess the Pro-C is really a Pro-HC. My advice: If you want a controller that gets controlled on your phone, go for the Hunter controller. The way Rain Bird retrofitted Wifi-control into their irrigation computers was half-hearted. The app works slow, you wait lots of times. If you are used to Rain Bird controllers since decades and Wifi is a nice add-on, it's ok. But as a first-time user of irrigation controllers, you will soon hate the delays, the frequent "unable to save changes"-notes, and the occasional "this controller is already in use by someone else".

I started my system with a Rain Bird controller and the wifi stick, and ordered the Hydrawise controller within three weeks. I haven't looked back.