decisions between JD930m, exmark, scag, ferris?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by loco papa joe, May 4, 2019.

1. loco papa joe

loco papa joe LawnSite Member

I have tried matching each brand of zero turn to be fairly comparable .

JD 930m /60" 7 iron, Kawasaki 801 $8400
    exmark laser s, 60", Kawasaki 801 $8279
    ferris is2100z, 61" Kawasaki 801 $8159
    scag cheetah 61", Kawasaki 850 $8540.

over 15 years I have owned a JD997 M yanmar diesel, Ferris is2100 Kawasaki , and a is3200 briggs OG.
    I'm not a commercial type guy, but cut about 4 acres of lawn weekly, and 3 acres of pasture type bi weekly or monthly. I have had zero problem with any of them engines, trans, or workmanship. one exception was the is2100, had a bad welded deck from factory which was replaced under warranty. i never put many hours on them. i have heard good things about all of these brands. it seems the manufactures watch each other, and price close to each other. comparing the weights of these, are all within 190 pounds of each other, with high JD 1365lb, low exmark 1175lb. all dealers are 40 minutes for less. i have never needed dealer service. with equal hours and care, which of these have the highest resale? which has the best air cleaners? all of these are used in the area about equally, none dominate this market. any thought or ideas are appreciated !

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

For the lawn any will work great. Since you also plan on using it in the fields every once in a while I'd want the deere or scag as they have a more open deck.

Dainius likes this.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Must be used prices. No way in hades your getting a new Cheetah for $8500. That Exmark price looks way low too.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The Cheetah would be my first choice in that list for ride, and power. JD would be second even though the Ferris would ride better. I would just rather have the V+ or 7 Iron. Since you do bi or monthly as well, I'd want one of those two decks to handle and discharge all the clippings best.

I agree, these must be used machines? If so, look them over closely and see if the hours match the condition. If new, take some money and go play the lottery because it's your lucky day at those prices.

5. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Member

Cheetah would be my first choice, (if that price is legit...)
    Then the Ferris, Exmark next, and scratch the JD off the list.

The Cheetah has the best drives of the list (ZT5400), with the Ferris next (ZT4400,) then the Exmark (I believe Parker HTG,) and the JD last (TuffTorq.)

I know people here disagree, but those TuffTorq's have came in my shop too many times with the axle shaft leaking due to excessive end play and worn internal components. (I even have a video of this.) That and they are no where near as smooth to me as Parker or Hydrogear.

And I can't resist but to throw in this option in your price range. You're getting a Vanguard engine, (whether that is an upgrade or not is up to you,) and the ZT4400 drives, good ride, and great cut...
    https://www.grasshoppermower.com/mowers/midmount/226vg4/

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    loco papa joe

loco papa joe LawnSite Member

These are all new machine prices. Depending on brand, the best discounts apply; exmark laser is published prices for equestrian, jd is referenced by several members here, and I went to a local dealer, to match. Ferris is very competitive, their city/county prices are best(well posted). Scab is the highest price but competitive within the class. If a dealer is loosing out the local rep will throw in help

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Jump on the Cheetah.

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

JD has used a lot of different versions of TT trannies over the years. If the current model used were as bad as you are saying here, it seems we'd all be hearing about it on here by now, but yet we don't.

I have ran them TT's on my 950 next to the 5400 HG's in the Cheetah and the JD's were slightly smoother which actually surprised me after all the god things I had read, and IME, are the TT's are more easily controlled. I know some of the earlier versions of TT in the original series of ZTR's JD made had issues, but that hasn't been the case for a while, at least not that I'm aware of. Can you get one here or there? No doubt, but th same can be said about the 5400's. In fact, in all my time here on LS, I have read more complaints about trouble with the 5400's by quite a margin than I ever have about the TT's in the current 900 series JD's.

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

If you get the JD be sure and get the new suspension seat

10. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Member

Did I call you out on your opinion? Nope, I did not. Do you work in a shop that sees the problems on various machines? Probably not. Have you been in the business of commercial landscaping and repair for twenty one years? I doubt that too. I am not trying to belittle you, but that is the experience I base my opinion on. Whatever your opinion is and the experience that drives it is unique to you just like all of us.

I am not going to argue with you about what or who is better cause it would be fruitless,and would appreciate the same respect from you. I can give you the model numbers and serial numbers of the machines with the issues I speak of, but why should I? Do people ask you for the proof behind your opinion? No they don't. If you don't like what I have to say about a name brand you like then that issue is within yourself, not my problem.

In the last year or year and a half, a 700 series, a 925M, and a 930M owned by people named Steve, Lowell, and one municipality owned machine have all had drive failures in my shop, all Tufftorq units, among some others. If I recommended a machine with that kind of track record to someone, I would be doing an injustice in mine own mind.

That is MY experience, you can take it or leave it either way.

shriver187 and Cam15 like this.