Decisions, decisions.... What to do with the company?

OP
B

BLLM87

LawnSite Member
This sounds great. Until we remember that most of the entry level folk have no intention of eve reading it.

Please don't read in any criticism of what you are doing @Tara Ann.

It looks great.
This is very well said. Tara, what you're doing is great, and if it's working for you guys, that's amazing. It's definitely something that we would dream to have working for us. Again, I don't know how large the company is that you're working for, but it sounds like they're growing fast if they're not already large scale, and for good reason.

I feel like the issue with us is that it's just a job meant as a stepping stone to get to the next job. Obviously, I'm sure that the pay has to do with most of this. Let's face it, unless you work for a company that has seemingly endless growing potential, a lot of people just do the bare minimum to get by. I'm not saying that there's not perks to be had with my dad, as he does treat the "star" employees very well ("star" meaning they show up on time, perform their tasks correctly the first time, and have pride in their work). This also means that no matter what kind of handbook or rules that you give them that are set in stone, the kind of people just using this as a stepping stone are usually just not going to follow them because lawn maintenance jobs are a dime a dozen around us.

We've had a few cases where drug paraphernalia has been found in the truck. I mean... I'm no rocket scientist, but I don't know of a single legitimate employer out there that would allow this with zero negative repercussions to the employee. Of course, these people were fired on the spot, but it just amazes me. I'm not perfect by any means at all, but I can't believe some of the seemingly blatantly obvious bullet-points that have to go in handbooks.

Maybe that's another one of our issues is expecting common sense to be common. Showing up on time every day should be a given if you're an adult. Our motto for the past few years has been, "everybody want's money, but most of them can't even get to work on time."

Is it winter yet? LOL

Tara Ann

LawnSite Senior Member
This sounds great. Until we remember that most of the entry level folk have no intention of eve reading it.

Please don't read in any criticism of what you are doing @Tara Ann.

It looks great.
Oh, most definitely do not read it (even though they sign and date the Acknowledgement Receipt at the end). People will ask me a question, and then I will ask if they have read the Employee Handbook. Then I usually get some kind of look. :laugh:

This is very well said. Tara, what you're doing is great, and if it's working for you guys, that's amazing. It's definitely something that we would dream to have working for us. Again, I don't know how large the company is that you're working for, but it sounds like they're growing fast if they're not already large scale, and for good reason.

I feel like the issue with us is that it's just a job meant as a stepping stone to get to the next job. Obviously, I'm sure that the pay has to do with most of this. Let's face it, unless you work for a company that has seemingly endless growing potential, a lot of people just do the bare minimum to get by. I'm not saying that there's not perks to be had with my dad, as he does treat the "star" employees very well ("star" meaning they show up on time, perform their tasks correctly the first time, and have pride in their work). This also means that no matter what kind of handbook or rules that you give them that are set in stone, the kind of people just using this as a stepping stone are usually just not going to follow them because lawn maintenance jobs are a dime a dozen around us.

We've had a few cases where drug paraphernalia has been found in the truck. I mean... I'm no rocket scientist, but I don't know of a single legitimate employer out there that would allow this with zero negative repercussions to the employee. Of course, these people were fired on the spot, but it just amazes me. I'm not perfect by any means at all, but I can't believe some of the seemingly blatantly obvious bullet-points that have to go in handbooks.

Maybe that's another one of our issues is expecting common sense to be common. Showing up on time every day should be a given if you're an adult. Our motto for the past few years has been, "everybody want's money, but most of them can't even get to work on time."

Is it winter yet? LOL
Whenever I began working here in 2017, there were 6 FT employees (other than myself). Now there are 13 FT employees (other than myself), and 1 PT employee.

Edit: There were 5 FT employees whenever I started. Went back, and checked our old Time Tracking Software.

Last edited:

Green Mentorship

LawnSite Senior Member
Anyways, how do you recommend starting? When I am too bizzie to even get the day to day stuff done that needs to be done?
Honestly I would start by giving yourself a week or 2 sabbatical from posting online. You'll have a ton more time to then seek a clarity break and do some self reflection on what you want and how the company can give that to you.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Honestly I would start by giving yourself a week or 2 sabbatical from posting online. You'll have a ton more time to then seek a clarity break and do some self reflection on what you want and how the company can give that to you.
Lol...probably a good idea.

OP
B

BLLM87

LawnSite Member
I figured I'd post an update for anybody wondering how it's been going, since it's been about a month.

My dad got the job, and he LOVES it. He's actually happy now. I haven't seen him with a smile on his face this often in YEARS.

My brother is running the lawn company. It's actually working out pretty good. In the past, my dad had an "I don't give a ****" attitude. My brother has a good attitude, but is putting his foot down more often and harder than my dad did. He's dealing with the stress of the employee issues pretty well.

Before my dad left, he had a meeting with everybody, telling them what his plans were and he said that he'd prefer that anybody that didn't want to work there anymore to leave now. Nobody left.

Since then, there have been a lot less NCNS events. He spends a few hours every Sunday getting payroll ready and writing out checks for the bills, but he doesn't mind since his entire week doesn't revolve around babysitting any more.

I have high hopes for this, I'm just hoping my brother can stick it out long enough to make the entire system more efficient and easier for him.

Gus McGee

LawnSite Member
If your father is checking out of the business and you have no desire to run it your best bet is to sell the business. Running a business isn't for everyone. There is a lot of stress and sacrifice required to run things. If you have a low stress, comfortable and secure job just stay where you are at.

You could attempt to bring someone in, but unless they have skin in the game they can walk away anytime they want and throw a huge monkey wrench into the business. What happens if that person walks during peak season? Your business is screwed.

If you don't want to sell completely you could attempt to find someone interested in buying in as a partnership.

OP
B

BLLM87

LawnSite Member
I thought of this thread a few days ago, and figured I'd give an update to anybody that wanted to listen.

During the spring of this year, my dad listed the company for sale online. Another lawn company replied, and we all (the other owner, my dad, my brother, and myself) met. The other owner was very down to earth and seemed like a stand-up, honest guy. Long story short, he ended up buying all of the accounts. He also took my brother and two other employees over to his company. My brother now makes more money than he did at my dads. My dad is a lot happier and pretty much stress-free. We're about 90% done selling all of his equipment, with only parts, a few push blowers, a debris loader, and a few 2 stroke pieces left.

This ended up being a great move for all of us. We are still trying to figure out what to do with the shop that my dad leases. He cannot get rid of it, as we both have a TON of stuff in it. So until either of us finds a house with a large enough outbuilding, it's going to have to stay. This also gives us both more time to start making money on the "side" doing small engine repairs and automotive exhaust work. He just gave me one of his plow trucks for helping him with everything, and I haven't decided if I'm going to be a sub this winter or not. He has a friend who does snowplowing and has offered a pretty decent hourly rate for me if I wanted to plow for him using my truck.

Cheers to all, I'll still be lurking here occasionally. Thanks for all of your tips, opinions, and input on this. Hopefully this heat wave isn't screwing you all too bad. I know it's hot here and we definitely could use some rain!