Decisions, Decisions

Discussion in '<a href= target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Alan, Mar 16, 2000.

  1. Alan

    Alan Member
    Messages: 1,185

    Right now I'm faced with 1-3&quot; possible by morning, currently 28 deg. and falling. Under 1/2&quot; on the ground right now, surface temps still above freezing. 5300 of salt in the V-box and ready to go. Debating whether to hit it now or let it build a bit more. If I go out I'll hit them all, both contract and per event, this is where I wish I had them all on contract, then the decision would be totally mine and not predicated on whether the per event customers will ***** if the storm fizzles and they get charged for a salting. Sometimes I wish there was a &quot;Boss&quot; to make these decisions for me
  2. plowking35

    plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT
    Messages: 1,687

    I would wait till the pavement temp is just above 32 degrees. If you apply now the material will dilute out, and when it hits freezing it will ice up anyway.<br>By applying at 32 or lower you maximise the usefull ness of the deicer.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment
  3. GeoffDiamond

    GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 1,651

    I don't do a total salt app very often, and this is one of the reasons why. This would be a very tough call for me to make, and i don't even want to think about doing it.<p>My advice is to get the plow on. Wait and see what happens, if ya get like 1.5-2&quot; and it's still comming down. Go plow and salt, the salt should take care of the last 1.5&quot; or more ( snow accumulations often run over the forcast). Now this may not sound correct to others, but this way you may have a chance to salt and plow ( which may mean more $$ but i am not sure), and you can't make a wrong call.<p>Geoff

Share This Page