Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new trimmers and blowers....... Looking at the Stihl FS85r and the JD XT120... I have tried the JD and thought is was really smooth and quiet, but have not had the opportunity to try the Stihl... What do you think anybody use both of these ???

Back packs.... I think I am going with the BP 60 from JD ?? Or should I go with the Stihl BR what ever ... ??

Thanks

And no.. I am not buying anymore REDMAX ..........

· Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I am looking elsewhere than Red max, is that their new stuff is just not holding up and Ive invested too much in trimmers and blowers that are rotting... need reliable equipment.. The JD seems to not have all that fancy emmisons junk yet... I am sure they do, it's just not noticible in the machines.. other than the fact that they are soooo quiet....

· Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12 blowers in 7 years.. WOW.... Thats pretty bad unless you have 6 guys using them ??? I'm on 5 in 8 years solo... which to me is way too much... especially since the the one i am using now I baught in 96 and the one I baught last year is in the scrap pile already.... What s up with that ....

· Registered
283 Posts
Hey,
I made the mistake of buying a John Deere xt105sb. Thinking the other ones were too expensive. Now I regret for not buying a better one because I spent 25 on a new head which was well over $300. If you get a Deere go for more power. You'll feel the difference if you use anything else. I cant stand using my Deere because I didnt use enuff power. My $250 Echo weedwacker from Home Depot feels more powerful. Prolly wont last as long but more powerful.

· Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pinnacle , I looked at the shiny s and they seem toooo similar to the Red Max, someone had said, dont remember if it was here or not that RM and Shin were made by the same company .. Same engines... Seeing how poorly the new RM's perform , did not want to take the chance with their twin ?? May be wrong on that though... But I think I saw the name Zenoh on both of them ??

· Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah Cheese dog.. Th e 105 is like a homeowner model... I was looking at the 120 , tried the 140 and liked it but dont need all of that power for just doing trimming and edging............. Other than the power, how does the 105 feel... Solid ?

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Trimmer, stick edger, BP blower, chain saw, hedge trimmer.

My first line of 2 cycle equipment is all John Deere, never a bit of problem out of any of it.

My back up units are all Stihl.

After using both, this is the favor-ability I've put them in. JD equipment has worked great any time all the time. Stihl, once in a while a stubborn start, but that's about as serious a problem I've had, plus the Stihl dealer has developed an attitude lately.

Have considered RedMax, but like you, they seem to be popping up on the trouble charts a lot lately.

I think it's Glan that swears by TMC brand, he sure makes them sounds interesting. But I can't find locally, only via order, don't care for that.

· Registered
346 Posts
Trimmers, go with the stihl. On the backpack blower, go redmax 7001.

I have two 85's and an 85 stick edger. I love them. Plenty of power for the money.

I tried stihl's new 4mix 110 saturday and loved it. More than enough power and torque that didn't stop. Only limit was the line that was on it. Green .090 stihl. I didn't have any spools of Gator mag wound up.

My next blower WILL be a redmax 7001. I have a br420 and it's ok but needs more power. Redmax is the king.

Scot

· Registered
1,489 Posts
Haven't used much anything else, but I know JD's (since its all I run) are powerful, smooth, quiet, and reliable (and tuff). For a trimmer I use the XT140SB and it has all the power I need. It has walked through some pretty tuff stuff without a problem. For a blower, try the BP60. That Kawi engine is very easy to start and very smooth, although it does drink some gas, but well worth it.

· Registered
303 Posts
Go with Stihl. I'm not a big fan of Deere. Maybe they are great in the huge tractors but I don't see it in the lawn care products.

I love my Stihl stick edger FC-85, and my Stihl BR-400 that my friend found in a ditch and gave to me cause it "didn't run". I been using it 2 years now and love both units.

My father bought a new BR-420 after using my old beat-up ugly 400 and I can't believe the power difference.

· Registered
731 Posts
Go John Deere I have 2 JD Trimmers 2 JD Bp Blowers 1 36"WB, 2 48"WB, 1 54" Rider, and my baby which is a 2003 4310 Tractor with frontend loader and backhoe "Nothing runs Like a deere"

And Customers love to see machines they know and have heard of

· Registered
627 Posts
I don't know how much truth there is , but the owner of a local rental center told me John Deere 2 cycle stuff is made by Echo. He commented on that when he seen my Echo hedge trimmer in the truck. Like I said take it for what its worth. Matt

· Registered
283 Posts
The xt105sb is a very reliable peice of equipment. Mine was ran over by a car and I had it fixed and it still runs great. Its not more than a year old. But if you plan on edgeing with it, dont. It sucks for that reason. Also the head on the 105 is too small. It barely holds enough string. That is what made me spent $25 out of my pocket to get a bigger one.

· Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From what I understood JD has their own manufacturing facility for the 2 cycle stuff . It's all JD except the engines, the trimmers are Mitsubishi or something and the blowers kawis... ?? or something to that effect...

REd Max..... this new 2400 I have that is junk... well decided to tear it apart for salvagable parts... notieced that the washer on the head had the hole off center, Bet that was causing some ot the vibration it had..... Nice quality control... No more RM for me......

· Registered
357 Posts
my 2 cycle is all maruyama. say what you may, but i never have any problems with any of it. it can be pricey but not as bad as others. ie 400 for my trimmer. it might be something you could look into.

i wanted to go all deere when i got into business. my cousin is a jd dealer. he let me demo the maruyama and jd trimmer for a week each. they were both great units. i chose the maruyama because of the warranty he could offer me. three years. if it wasnt for the warranty i would have chose the deere (two year).

i would buy either one again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.