Decisions, Looking for a new mower & trailer

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
For trailers I'm indecisive. I can get a new trailer 6x12 single axle, wood deck, $1400 not including trimmer racks or I can get a double axle for $1900. Somewhere one of those had 2' sides. Or I could get a used unpainted but primed, single axle 7x14 normal side rail, with trimmer rack for $1100 and can hold 2,200lbs and has a side ramp. I have to check and see if I can even get the 14' in my garage. I would like to one day haul mulch and 2-4 pallets of sod but not sure what I need in regards to truck and trailer. I did recently tow a 12 or 14', high wall dump trailer with my Titan with 1,300lbs in it. I'm guessing the trailer itself was about 4k lbs because I was 9,600lbs on the scales leaving empty.

Now comes mowers. Original plan was to buy a 48" stander but a few guys I know said I should go 52". I then seen the other day a local reputable Toro dealer and repair shop is now a seller for Spartan's. The price definitely caught my eye and I've read about 120 pages on LS about Spartan's. Based on what I have read, limited reviews on Spartan here on LS and the cost of a few upgrades I have decided to go back to a stander with an established company. I want to try and finance but with the purchase of a home last month and income to credit ratio I probably won't get financed so it's going to be an outright cash purchase so I want to keep it as low as possible. The only comparison I have so far until I get more literature is Scag Vride2 and Wright Stander X, both 48" model.

Stander X
MSRP $9,710-16% $8,156
Floating deck
Kawi 23.5HP FX730
Electric Start
Size 49"w x 65"L
12CC pumps (I'm assuming dual hydro?)
15CU motors (please explain this and is it cast iron like Vride?)
8 gallon gas
9.5MPH
900-980LBS
Rear tires 20x10-8
1.5-5.5" cut
Spindle ????????

Note: I can get the 52" Stander X Briggs Vangaurd 28HP for $100 more. Spending an extra $1,000 but not fond of I can upgrade to 52" Stander ZK, bigger gas tank, faster speed, ductile iron spindle w/durable seals (explain that please), slightly larger tires, and slightly heavier than the 48" Vride2.

Vride2
Price ?????
Floating deck
22HP FX691
Electric Start
Size 50"W x 68"L
12cc pumps
14 CI (cast iron) motors
8 gallon
1015lbs
Rear tires 24x9.5-12
1.5-4.5" cut
Spindle - Cast Iron

Based on the above information and assuming Scag is slightly more expensive I think I'm leaning towards the Wright, but let's discuss decks first.

What are some noticeable difference in them? The undersides of them almost look identical. I currently have 36WB w/mulch plate and when I go to turn or go in reverse it leaves clumps/blowout in the front. Does the velocity+ or aero core do the same?

Scag deck has adjustable baffle and I think I read Wright does to but I can't find it now but I am not even sure I will be using that feature. Also on Scag on the baffle there are 2 tabs (where label "C" is on the image) and Wright does not have it, does this make a difference? What does do, if anything?
VELOCITYDECK-calloutimage.jpg

I'll be doing more comparisons, this is just a start.

Thanks

unkownfl

LawnSite Platinum Member
On a 6ft wide single axle trailer you will bend the axle hauling sod. I bend mine on a 5x10 5 lug 3500lbs axle. I usually run the next tire size up found on the 6lug rims on my 5 lug rim for my single axles and replace or bend the axle back in the winter. The tolls more than make up for the expense of the annual axle work for me.

unkownfl

LawnSite Platinum Member
I run wrights for back yards and I know you didn't suggest it, but the new grand stand is a good machine. I have been running standers for almost 10 years now and have 2 grand stands. Mulch kits will leave clumps over concrete and turns. Basically, if you mess with the vacuum the deck is creating by turning back etc it drops the load. I run a quikchute on all my machines.

OP
Steve

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah I do have a price on a 48" Grandstand, $8100 + tax (cash), but I haven't compared specs, yet.

13Razorbackfan

LawnSite Silver Member
After buying and going through a ton of trailers looking for the right one get a tandem 3500lb axle with brakes and I've found a 16 to 18' trailer will allow for all kinds of room for mowers and brush hauling or mulch or trash or whatever. I have a 18' now with rear and side gate. Spend the extra money and get a tandem 3500lb axle trailer with brakes and you'll be glad you did. Just my $.02

OP
Steve

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
If I go 16' I would have to keep my equipment outside unless I unload and load every day and stash equipment in garage. Also the way my house is on a cul-de-sac I might not be able to get trailer in in back yard, and I live in an HOA so parking trailer in driveway is out of question.

Grassfire205

LawnSite Senior Member
Not sure on mowers cause i dont run standers or the brands you mentioned. But on trailers i will recommend buy one a size bigger than you think you will need. Get heavier duty axels and upgraded tires and wheels if offered. The heavier duty it is the longer it will last and less repairs you'll need. And if you want to haul 4 pallets of sod youll need something bigger than a 14 ft single axle trailer.

Last edited:

13Razorbackfan

LawnSite Silver Member
Not sure on mowers cause i dont run standers or the brands you mentioned. But on trailers i will recommend buy one a size bigger than you think you will need. Get heavier duty axels and upgraded tires and wheels if offered. The heavier duty it is the longer it will last and less repairs you'll need.
Agree 100%...

How deep is your garage Steve? I didn't think I could fit 22' into my garage but found an extra couple feet after doing some rearranging

Greencuts518

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah all I had funds for was 8 ft trailer and I ran out of room before I even loaded it...lol ..used to have 12ft.and it was much easier to back up then the 8ft. But I'm solo mower monkey so just enough room to get me mowing.

Cajunjosh

LawnSite Member
I'm running a 6'x12' tandem axle trailer that fits in my garage. I run a 36" VrideII and a 54" Outlaw Stander. I'm selling the 54 because in my area all the yards will better benefit from a 48".

I would say buy based on the work you are currently doing or want to do. If you are doing large properties a 50+ inch deck might be worth it but if you are in neighborhoods all day with lots of fencing you might be better suited to a 48" deck that won't scalp as much on uneven terrain and might be able to fit in a few areas a 50+ mower won't.

Top Forums