1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Deck bogs down but engine doesnt

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Robreg, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Robreg

Robreg LawnSite Member

I have an early 2000's yard machine transmatic 42" riding mower it's a 600 series I'm not sure the exact model. While mowing if I get into even slightly thick grass it the blades will bog down. The motor doesnt slow down any.

This causes the blades to eventually stop and the belt will start squealing. I am constantly having to stop and let the blades catch back up.

Do yall have any ideas as to why this happens or what I can do to fix it?

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Check your mower deck belt, if it needs to be replaced and your handy just take it off and match it from your local parts dealer, good luck and welcome

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  3. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

New deck belt yes !
    Check spring tensioner also, lube up the pivot point's so it can properly tension belt. May even need new spring, they can get weak.

4. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the spark plug too while you are at it

Cam15 likes this.
  5. mysteryman

mysteryman LawnSite Member

...all of the above and dull blades make a difference...

6. OP
    OP
    Robreg

Robreg LawnSite Member

It has a new belt that was replaced two weeks before end of last season due to it burning up cause the deck slowed down and the motor pully didnt and it burnt into

There isnt a spring on the deck it engages the blades when you lower the deck. The deck goes back and down which puts tension on the belt and it feels tight when lowered.

I have attached the parts diagram pdf to better show it off. Mine is the 42 inch

Attached Files:

7. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

One or more blade spindles may be seizing up also. That would cause the drag.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Robreg

Robreg LawnSite Member

I have greased both of the spindles but there is a pully on the back that can't be greased tho I pulled it apart and greased it best I could. They all spin freely and I dont feel any binding. The blades are worn I thought of pulling them off and using a grinder on them could that help?

9. mysteryman

mysteryman LawnSite Member

My guess is that if all else was operating properly the dull blades would bog the engine as well...could the spindle mounts be loose or the deck where they mount ‘sloppy’ (enlarged rusty bolt holes) causing binding/loosening of the deck belt?

hort101 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Robreg

Robreg LawnSite Member

I can check in the next couple of days the mower is at my other property. I seen a post somewhere else that it could be due to using non-OEM belts. The belt is a standard black v belt from autozone. Would a green mtd OEM belt really make a difference?