Deck cleaning + Fluid Film = LOVE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwost, May 7, 2010.

1. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

where can I buy this stuff or the equivalent?????????????

2. OP
    OP
    dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

3. OP
    OP
    dwost

No worries, cheers mate! :drinkup: BTW, not sure you follow it but did you see your countryman Mark Webber is on pole for the Spanish Grand Prix? :drinkup:

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

When I bought my new JD I also bought a spray can of fluid film. The day I took delivery of the JD I sprayed the whole underside of the deck (before cutting a single blade of grass) and used about half of a can of fluid film. Last time I looked under the deck, it was still fairly clean. I'm switching blades on it this week, so I'll clean the deck and reapply the fluid film. I'm actually pretty excited to see how clean it kept the deck. I figure no matter what, I at least have some rust protection under the deck.

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Man...fluid film...best stuff ever invented. Every time I work on my truck, I end up spraying a lot around the area I'm fixing. I also wax my mowers and 2-cycle equipment, as well as spray it on heavy on the underside to keep the grass from sticking. I don't know what I'd do without it.

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I usually get mine at Kellsport.com and mowpart.com has it too.

7. OP
    OP
    dwost

Thought I'd post up an update. It's been a bit over a week since I posted up my results and today decided to get underneath to check out how things were looking. Over the last week we have been hit with some HEAVY rain. Several inches which left me unable to cut for a couple extra days. I've cut twice at my house and also two times out our office. The grass was 8-12" tall, soaked, and wicked thick. I totally expected to see clumps of grass hanging onto the deck. The interesting thing is when I started cutting I noticed the grass was being distributed quite nicely considering the amount of moisture. In the past when I would cut in conditions like this there would be some clumping. Much to my surprise there was none. The FF must be keeping the grass from hanging up on the deck. Well, today I climb under and much to my amazement I was left with virtually ZERO buildup under the deck. Again the areas where the paint has worn were shiny clean and I only had three small areas around each baffle area that has some buildup. 5 minutes of scraping I had a small pile to clean up. The grass again just fell off the deck with a little push of the scraper and the blades were completely clean. I'm absolutely LOVING this method. I'll be ordering up a gallon and the gun, thanks DLAWNS for the heads up!

8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Probably some truth to the stuff...I just question the cost vrs the actual commercial need. Old timers used to apply motor oil to the underside of the deck and (so I was told) it would take several applications over the winter to "set" into the metal....and no there wasnt enough to hurt the grass. Commercially speaking...The cost just isnt worth it on a large scale. Once you learn to grow grass to the apropriate height..you stop spending money trying to figure out how to deal with all that grass....cause there just wont be enough to cause a problem.

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have "learned" to grow less grass top and more dense a the same time dude and when rain happens and you cant mow you are forced to cut tall wet grass and it clogs the decks pretty bad sometimes depending on the moisture actually on the blades like heavy dew(the worst) so you should not try to be such a smarty pants as it is not appreciated here in that fashion.

we personally do not use any deck treatment and have to scrape the decks often this time of year, multiple times per day even and there is nothing to do about it save trying fluid film or slip plate etc. i may try this for the future but right now we are so busy i dont think i could give the underdeck treatment enough time to set properly and it would not last

10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I am sometimes at a loss as to how to respond to you. Not sure if your in over post mode or just need us to slow things down or make them more simple for you sometimes. I incorrectly assumed that the first part of what you wrote above was UNDERSTOOD BY ANYONE WHO EVR MOWED A LAWN FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES..especially the ones who post frequently.....my bad.