deck pulley covers

APLUS LAWN CARE

LawnSite Senior Member
Does anyone remove the covers from the pulleys on their decks? I know you are not supposed to but I have a terrible time trying to keep the grass out from underneath it. Thoughts on this?

jiggz

LawnSite Senior Member
We only rin walkbehinds.. The ones that have one cover that goes across all spindles like my bobcats, i always leave the cover on and just dont use the wing or thumb nuts so its just a matter of lifting it off and hitting it with the blowe.. On my w/bs with floating decks and 3 covers i just leave them off.. I sjouldnt though.. I dont want to see one of those belts snapin and crackin me in the face
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i haven't done it yet but i also was thinking about doing it. grass, rocks, sweet gum balls, small sticks, leaves, pine cones, etc. all get caught under those things. i try to blow them out but you can't get all of it out unless you remove the covers and then blow it out. it wouldn't hurt anything to leave them off since they are mostly under the platform.

jiggz

LawnSite Senior Member
You can get a standoff wich is a nut that is long.. Normally around an inch or inch and a half.. Thread that on the hold down rod.. Making the total length of the rod longer so you dont have to bolt it down and wont have to worrie about a cover bouncong off.. Thats the easiest and safest way to do it.. Then you just lift up when ya blowoff your equpt at the end of the day
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
it doesn't take long with my current stock setup. it's like a key ring thing that you just turn and then the cover pops off. all i have been doing is just doing it at the end of each day or every few days or something. sometimes once a week or so if i get lazy. :laugh:

cgaengineer

LawnSite Fanatic
I take the ones of my toro WB so I can see when blades have stopped.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
A

APLUS LAWN CARE

LawnSite Senior Member
Other than the obvious safety factor of removing them, would it cause any sort of damage to the pulleys? I would think it would be better to remove the covers and keep the grass and everything off of the pulleys than it would be to leave them on.

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
C'mon guys you really think anything short of a tree limb is going to damage the open pulleys and belts. Most are two pinch nuts and maybe a top stud. Mine comes off weekly to grease the spindles. Personally I'm not a big fan about open machinery anyways. I had a cast pulley disintegrate once and the cover contained all the fragments.:usflag:

FullMoonLandscaping

LawnSite Member
all my mowers have covers and discharge covers removed. no problems for 5 years. easier to clean, better grass clipping spread and less to hangup in trailers and gets closer to edges on lawns

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
I almost fell into the open pullies on my Gravely 50 a long time ago. It happened quick and most people would never have seen it had they been standing next to me. But I know what almost happened and all of my covers have been on since.