Deck size

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by thickturf, Aug 17, 2017.

1. thickturf

thickturf LawnSite Member

How many of you run 52 inches or smaller for your mowers?

We tend to because we have less scalping.

2. Tootall91

Tootall91 LawnSite Member

I have a 52" and 36"

3. CorgiTurf

CorgiTurf LawnSite Member

So size DOES matter?

4. Risen

Risen LawnSite Member

44-48 seems to work best for most jobs. Less trimming and fits through gates. 52 and larger I would use for more open areas without gates

5. rangerray

rangerray LawnSite Member

I'm new to commercial mowers, but I looked for a 48" deck specifically because it fit on a trailer that I already have. Also, my thinking was that the 48" will be more maneuverable on smaller properties.

6. Risen

Risen LawnSite Member

Your thinking is correct. 48vs52 doesn't make much difference in cutting. It does make a difference on what fits where though

7. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Senior Member

I run 52" and 36" ZTRs. Most of my customers that have gates have 60" openings, so the 52" handles most jobs. A few have smaller gates, so that's when the 36" comes out to play. I only have one property, my HOA common grounds, that would benefit from a larger mower. On my residentials, a 60"+ deck would be more of a hinderance than a help.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  8. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here 21" and a 30" too

BR,

~TW

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Deck size is totally dependent on the properties you cut as to what works best. Smaller mowers are better where gates are an issue. Otherwise, I'll take a 60" over anything less any time. I never had any scalping issues with the 60's I've had. The main reason is because I use my gauge wheels as they were designed to be used instead of just setting them as high as they will go to keep them from making contact while going faster.

rangerray likes this.
  10. River

River LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

The biggest one I can use on the majority of accounts

LawnWaffle likes this.