• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Deck will not lower on Lazer Z (with pictures)

ToroLandscaper

LawnSite Bronze Member
I posted this in mechanic and repair but figured it might get more feedback under commercial lawn mowing...any ideas from anyone?

My Exmark Lazer Z deck will not go down all the way for some reason and just stops at a random place. I have attached a picture to show how the deck should be way lower, even if you jump or bounce on the deck it will not go down any. Also, some how I have managed to get the deck height (left to right) really screwed up. I have absolutely no clue what it is, I have not ran the mower in awhile just because I have been in school and it is not mowing season. Does anyone have any clue why the deck is not going down all the way? I have check under the deck and all the deck stuff and everything seems to be intact and the way it should be. I can figure out the deck pitch (left to right) but I am just stumped on why the deck will not go down.

theheisk

LawnSite Member
Is the deck hard to raise and lower? If so try this, unhook the front of the deck from the mower....meaning the chains that raise and lower the deck.. Once you have it unhooked. See if you can work the foot lift peddle without any effort. It should move without any effort at all. If it's hard to move then it has gaulded up inside the shaft. If thats if let me know and I will tell you how I fixed mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

jtkplc

LawnSite Silver Member
You need to grease the front and rear height adjust shaft bearings. My old boss, back when I used to work for someone, had an Exmark and never greased those points and we had the same issue.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
greasing is what i was gonna say, or even taking those apart and cleaning and putting back together with grease. i was not sure if they were greasable or not as i dont use exmark

theheisk

LawnSite Member
I bought my exmark used and they had never been greased. I had to use a porta power to get both mine out. I took and sanded down the shafts and used a brake hone on the cylinder then greased the pee out of them and put it back together. Hopefully yours have not gone that far because it was a pain to get them out.
Posted via Mobile Device

scotlykins

LawnSite Member
One or all of the shafts, (two in front and two in back), are seized up. I just spent a good fours hours working the shafts free last week.
Good luck

OP
T

ToroLandscaper

LawnSite Bronze Member
theheisk and scotlykins the front right one is the one that is seized up, I got the C ring released and can not get the shaft pulled out. How did you all do this?

theheisk

LawnSite Member
Luckily I run the maintenance department for my main job and was able to borrow a porta power. I tried heating and beating with a sledge hammer and it never budged an inch. The porta power I used was a cylinder type. I wedged it bewteen the frame and used a 1/2 drive extension to push out the shaft.
Posted via Mobile Device

theheisk

LawnSite Member
Can't tell where you are at since I am using my phone, but I think your info said you were in knoxville when I read the post from my pc. I'm about 35 minutes from there so you can pm me if you need some help getting it fixed . Be glad to help.
Posted via Mobile Device