• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Decompression Valve Mod for Shindaiwa EB8520

bob

LawnSite Platinum Member
Why? Is it hard to start?

OP
S

Snow to Go

LawnSite Member
It's just that the thing has a lot of compression & is a little feisty on the pull back, especially when its on a tailgate or a elevated step or ??
A decompression would be great !!! on my husky 346xp it does wonders when your out of position.
Any ideas I haven't got into it yet but I hope I can find a spot in the Head to put one.

Thanks -Len

jkilov

LawnSite Bronze Member
It won't be easy or worth it. Being a 4-stroke there's little space in the head for tapping holes. Most 4-strokes have a decompression feature built into the cam : a weight bumps the intake valve then centrifugally retracts as the engine starts. Not sure if the 8520 is equipped with this system.

I would try to fit a start spring of some sort or even simpler an elastostart handle from stihl or a spring starter handle from shindy's 446s chainsaw.

OP
S

Snow to Go

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the input. I thought about a spring set up for the starting I remember having one on a old lawn mower (spring crank w a button to release) when I was a kid (back in the sixty's) & it seemed to work good. I didn't know the shindy chainsaws had them I'll have to check it out. I know there wont be much room in the head but I thought I could squeeze one in !!!
I'll investigate further & let you know .

Thanks -Len

FIXDISS

LawnSite Senior Member
Has it always been hard to start and had a lot of kickback ? Just thinking it might need a valve adjustment.Was searching on-line and only found a couple that required drilling and tapping a 10mm hole .

Tharrell

LawnSite Silver Member
Have you tried pulling until just after tdc, and then giving it a good pull? It might be a little easier on the down stroke.