1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Deer repellant

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by upidstay, Nov 15, 2017.

1. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

So what's everybody using for deer repellant? Had mixed results with Winter Armor. Bobex is great, but doesn't last.

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

hort101, Wye Oak Tree and RDALawns like this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Think about the various barking dog alarms. Motion detecting.

Any nerdy computer geek could rewire one to add coyote howls, tiger snarls and elephant trumpets. Charge the customer more for the "Deluxe Intensity" version. Hippo snorts? Alligator bellows? Rent or sell.
    Are there any nearby neighbors?
    Do you prefer a few seconds of "Jurassic Park"? A few snake-rattles? Caribou? Elk? Moose calls? Grizzly growls?
    Add motion sensing sprinklers. Add this to motion-detecting lights, of course. We have solar-powered led lights at my house.
    And the ultrasonic "silent" ( to our ears) version.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-R...rd_wg=JzA6D&psc=1&refRID=P071WDPAM08XZNZTF878
    Be sure to tie cowbells and jingle bells to potential affected bushes. Hang bells or noise makers hanging from black strings in likely deer travel areas. Lots of wind chimes, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-A...rd_wg=BN8Cq&psc=1&refRID=8XK5SJYS8KPGSM9M5FTV

Is it possible to visit each site in person once per night and charge the customer $10 per visit? Once a week with three dogs--$40 per visit? It is likely they would mark the territory if the trip was about 30 minutes or more. Suppose you applied dog manure granules with a spreader or some type of liquid dog product with a back pack sprayer? Talk with a local shelter.
    Of course, you want a continuing source of revenue coming in, so a method that requires monthly payments is better for your business. You need to check the batteries, right?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

ETM likes this.
  5. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

My wife use to work on the vet teams at a zoo as a surgery tech. She'd bring home Lion poop. Deer will come nowhere close to that stuff.

6. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

I prefer this method Screenshot_20171115-140751.png

7. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Raleigh

We used panther poop back in the day. Also strung fishing line, supposed to scare them, they cant see it.

We kept the deer out, but it was the humans that got our crop every year. :(

RDALawns likes this.
  8. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I was gonna say, I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308 caliber that sends a clear message pretty quickly...lol

Nice Buck!

RDALawns likes this.
  10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

RDALawns likes this.