1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Deere 135D

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Junior M, May 10, 2020.

1. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

What’s everybody’s opinion on 135 sized excavator?

im looking at picking one up. I need a reduced tail swing machine with rubber pads. This machine fits that bill but I’m a little worried about not having a blade.

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I think in order to get the most out of that sized machine, it has to have a blade and a swing boom helps. I think for a little more weight (assuming that is not an issue) I would consider a 145 sized machine. More capacity in essentially the same size machine. I have been running a few and am planning on going from a 160 to a 145 with hybrid track system. Digging foundations might be a little slower but can use in more applications. I have run the Case 145, WN 145 and the Takeuchi 2150. I really like the swing boom on this size machine. I think ROI is important and swing boom just makes that sized machine more user friendly.

LonestarLandscaping1 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Junior M

I hadn’t considered a swing boom on a machine that size..

4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I think that size(135/140/145) class is nice for residential or small commercial stuff. A bunch of guys are running that size on Insta. Advanced Wall's Doosan is also very impressive, wicked fast. After Kobelco or Case that Doosan would be on the shortlist.

I want a Kobelco 140 with blade, roadliner pads & Steelwrist.

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

It's a nice size if that's as big as a machine you need, but if you think 5 years from now you want to step it up to a 20 ton hoe, better off buying bigger now, the 130 size is too small for the big jobs and too big for the small jobs where an 8 ton hoe would shine.
    Transport needs a 130 size behind a tandem on a tandem trailer is nice, but there is always someone that can move it anytime and they absorb the costs of the trailer and truck.

6. OP
    OP
    Junior M

I have an 8 ton machine already and I move it behind my triaxle Mack on a 20 ton deckover I picked up from Letsdig. So I’m not concerned about moving it..

I just feel like for the lot clears and things I’m doing, the 135 would be a much better fit. We’re also beginning to dabble in some smaller commercial work. The biggest machine I’d want right now would be a 160 so I could still move it behind my triaxle.. but I’m going with this 135 for a 2 big reasons.. reduced tailswing and rubber trackpads.

At this point I’m trying to decide if I should buy this 5k hour 135D or step up to a 135G with a blade and much bigger price tag.

7. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Look at that guy on Insta, Parrish? He does a lot with that Link Belt 145.

8. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Bronze Member

If you’ve got a 20 ton trailer and a tri axel trailer why not a 160 sized machine? I’ve never ran a machine bigger than an 80 for any length of time but on the 80 the blade is a big asset. I’d hate to loose a blade without getting a way bigger excavator.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  9. OP
    OP
    Junior M

ive got a triaxle truck and a 20ton trailer but the 160 is to heavy for the trailer. I’d have to step up to a heavier trailer.