Deere 757 gas tank under vacuum

Gable74

LawnSite Member
I picked up a low hours 757 recently and was very happy until about 90min into mowing the first time, it stalled on me. I thought it was overheating so I let it cool off for about 30min, started it back up and finished the yard. I was very disappointed and thought maybe I got suckered into a mower that had been abused. I took off the engine shroud thinking clogged head fins may be the culprit to the overheating. When I got the shroud off I was happy to find it really wasn't too dirty. So why was it over heating? Fast forward a couple weeks and its time to mow again. I was sort of hopeful the minor cleaning I did may have solved the issue......nope. Just 45min into the mow and she stalled again. I lifted the eat up to get a better look at the engine and noticed the side of the gas tank was concaved and sucked in. Then I happened to look at the fuel filter and it was empty, completely. I had just filled it up so I knew there was no way it was empty but I pulled off the gas cap to look anyway. When I did the tank bellowed back out an gas flowed into the filter. SO my issue was not over heating but negative pressure in the tank starving the tractor for fuel. After that long winded story, my question is, do these fuel caps have a vent in them that can get clogged? I was so happy to find that the issue was very minor and simply pulling the cap and putting it back on again allowed me to finish up with no issues. How to I vent this tank properly? New cap?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Some mowers use a vented cap, others a separate vent tube/line that can go to the air filter area or a charcoal canister.
Either way, ya gotta clear the obstructed vent.

J.D. has a website . Check out yer parts listing or GOOGLE yer numbers.

OP
Gable74

Gable74

LawnSite Member
None of the caps for my model say whether they are vented or not and none of the exploded view drawings on the Deere parts site define a vent of any sort. I can tell though that the cap that is on my mower does not match the one they call for in the drawing. So I am going to try the "New Cap" route first. If that doesn't work I will vent it myself...:). Thanks for the help!

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
How many hoses come out of tank ? More than one = external vent line. Unless EFI motor.

Could very well be the wrong cap...