1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Deere 994r has arrived

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by arl250, Jan 16, 2019.

1. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Wonder what they will actually end up selling for. The sticker on my 830a was $12,000 and the dealer was selling them for $7,500

2. OP
    OP
    arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think sticker on this thing is actually 17 or 18k

3. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Fanatic

Looks nice.
    The engine is a bit exposed though. No cover for the top?
    I guess I'm too used to the giant cover on the 997's

Walker56 likes this.
  4. tundraman

tundraman LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is the savings with diesel running 80 cents more than gas? You will get more power out of 37 hp gas with about the same expense per hour as the diesel. Save 5k and get a gas mower. I see a purpose for a 997 but not this mower.

5. OP
    OP
    arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know exactly where you’re coming from there. One big thing I see would be if you already got a fuel tank on your truck and everything else is diesel then it’s more of a convenience factor than anything and you don’t have to pay quite the price of the 997 and also this mowers physical size is pretty much the same as the other 900 series mowers. There’s a few other things I’d like to check out but to me this mower I think will fit a lot of my needs in my operation. I do believe I’d hold off a while though and see how it holds up and if the bugs are worked out

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The difference in price between off road diesel and gas is pretty close in most places. If you run everything on diesel, including your tow truck, then off road diesel is out of you plan or prefer to load up everything from one source. For those of us with gas tow rigs, off road diesel is a good option for our diesel equipment. I'd love to have one of these, but not at the prices they will actually sell for.

7. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Fanatic

Although diesel is more expensive you end up using less volume than gas.
    My 997 uses less gallons per day than my old 777 w/27 hp Kawasaki

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have the torque ratings for each?

HP means nothing, torque is where it's at. Especially since diesels generally hit peak torque at lower RPM's than gas.

Way back when, I found that a liquid cooled gas would use approximately half the fuel a air cooled would. And a diesel would use approximately half the fuel a liquid cooled gas would. And it consistently had the power to mow through wet or long grass without bogging down.

Either way, 37 HP is overkill for a 60" or even a 72" mower on a Z. Wasting fuel with an engine that size.

9. UpNorthMowing

UpNorthMowing LawnSite Fanatic
    from Ontario

Looks like a awesome machine, but how many emission sensors, egr lines etc are going to be on that engine.

That's what scares me about diesels now, the lack of simplicity.

13Razorbackfan and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I'm surprised that it is an indirect injection engine. Direct injected Yanmar's start much faster and use less fuel.