Deere 994r has arrived

ztman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Wonder what they will actually end up selling for. The sticker on my 830a was $12,000 and the dealer was selling them for $7,500

tundraman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Where is the savings with diesel running 80 cents more than gas? You will get more power out of 37 hp gas with about the same expense per hour as the diesel. Save 5k and get a gas mower. I see a purpose for a 997 but not this mower.

OP
arl250

arl250

LawnSite Bronze Member
Where is the savings with diesel running 80 cents more than gas? You will get more power out of 37 hp gas with about the same expense per hour as the diesel. Save 5k and get a gas mower. I see a purpose for a 997 but not this mower.
I know exactly where you’re coming from there. One big thing I see would be if you already got a fuel tank on your truck and everything else is diesel then it’s more of a convenience factor than anything and you don’t have to pay quite the price of the 997 and also this mowers physical size is pretty much the same as the other 900 series mowers. There’s a few other things I’d like to check out but to me this mower I think will fit a lot of my needs in my operation. I do believe I’d hold off a while though and see how it holds up and if the bugs are worked out

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
The difference in price between off road diesel and gas is pretty close in most places. If you run everything on diesel, including your tow truck, then off road diesel is out of you plan or prefer to load up everything from one source. For those of us with gas tow rigs, off road diesel is a good option for our diesel equipment. I'd love to have one of these, but not at the prices they will actually sell for.

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
Although diesel is more expensive you end up using less volume than gas.
My 997 uses less gallons per day than my old 777 w/27 hp Kawasaki

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you have the torque ratings for each?

HP means nothing, torque is where it's at. Especially since diesels generally hit peak torque at lower RPM's than gas.

Way back when, I found that a liquid cooled gas would use approximately half the fuel a air cooled would. And a diesel would use approximately half the fuel a liquid cooled gas would. And it consistently had the power to mow through wet or long grass without bogging down.

Either way, 37 HP is overkill for a 60" or even a 72" mower on a Z. Wasting fuel with an engine that size.