Deere 994r has arrived

OP
arl250

arl250

LawnSite Bronze Member
Looks like a awesome machine, but how many emission sensors, egr lines etc are going to be on that engine.

That's what scares me about diesels now, the lack of simplicity.
This one falls below the 25hp rating so it has no emissions which is another good thing... all that bull crap is why my last truck I bought was gas. And all my equipment is diesel except the mowers I have currently

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Well, to be accurate, it is tier 4 compliant, so has to have some features to meet that requirement, but it doesn't require DEF, or any other exhaust features like engines above 25HP.

tundraman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Do you have the torque ratings for each?

HP means nothing, torque is where it's at. Especially since diesels generally hit peak torque at lower RPM's than gas.

Way back when, I found that a liquid cooled gas would use approximately half the fuel a air cooled would. And a diesel would use approximately half the fuel a liquid cooled gas would. And it consistently had the power to mow through wet or long grass without bogging down.

Either way, 37 HP is overkill for a 60" or even a 72" mower on a Z. Wasting fuel with an engine that size.
Obviously then the 997 is a total waste. It all depends on what you are mowing. I could use a 997 for 34 horse is not enough at times for me. A Turf Tiger with EFI 37 Briggs would mow circles around the 994 for 5k less. The 994 just doesn't fit the marketplace but I love the diesel Yanmar on the 997.

tundraman

LawnSite Bronze Member
This one falls below the 25hp rating so it has no emissions which is another good thing... all that bull crap is why my last truck I bought was gas. And all my equipment is diesel except the mowers I have currently
The new types of diesel that run def are great motors but are expensive to run because of the cost of diesel versus gas. Regen hurts their mileage,
but 925 lbs of torque are great and they are very quiet. Of course, you add another 8k to the price of the truck too.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Obviously then the 997 is a total waste. It all depends on what you are mowing. I could use a 997 for 34 horse is not enough at times for me. A Turf Tiger with EFI 37 Briggs would mow circles around the 994 for 5k less. The 994 just doesn't fit the marketplace but I love the diesel Yanmar on the 997.
Waiting on torque numbers...

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
That is true! I priced a new walker the other day and bout had a heartatack . Couldn’t believe how they had went up since I bout my new one a couple years ago
I thought there were always about that price ... at least in the last 6-10 years

OP
arl250

arl250

LawnSite Bronze Member
I thought there were always about that price ... at least in the last 6-10 years
I bought the 23hp carb version mt 23 or whatever it is they call it now for 11k just two years ago now same exact mower is 13 something and 26efi I believe is all over 15k

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I bought the 23hp carb version mt 23 or whatever it is they call it now for 11k just two years ago now same exact mower is 13 something and 26efi I believe is all over 15k
yea....we use the 23 carb version....just haggle with them, bet you can get some off of that

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
tpendagast and I had this discussion in another thread...the HP wars in mowers is just stupid. I can remember running a Toro Groundsmaster 72" with 20 HP...never ran out of power.

Had a Toro 4000D 11' batwing, all decks had hydraulic driven blades, full time 4WD...55 HP.

And someone needs 37 HP for a 60" deck? Or 72" On a Z?

Surekwhatever...