Deere 994r has arrived

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
@TPendagast do you remember?
I remember the conversation, not necessarily the thread.

to paraphrase I said:
Does the grass grow taller now? Is it thicker? Is it wetter?
Because I used to run 11hp kawisaki on my 48" bobcat just fine,
20hp on 61" scag STHM no problems
and a 23hp on my lazer WITH a collection system, but now it seems 27hp is a "joke" and "real men" will only settle for a 31hp..nothing less!

Mark went on about how 26hp on a 52" seemed pretty silly.

It was a long thread but those are the highlights.

Im sure I could find it when I get a moment.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
I remember the conversation, not necessarily the thread.

to paraphrase I said:
Does the grass grow taller now? Is it thicker? Is it wetter?
Because I used to run 11hp kawisaki on my 48" bobcat just fine,
20hp on 61" scag STHM no problems
and a 23hp on my lazer WITH a collection system, but now it seems 27hp is a "joke" and "real men" will only settle for a 31hp..nothing less!

Mark went on about how 26hp on a 52" seemed pretty silly.

It was a long thread but those are the highlights.

Im sure I could find it when I get a moment.
That pretty much sums it up.

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've been running Diesel for almost 7 years now. My kubota as you all know, plows through wet tall thick grass no problem. It's a 48" with a 18hp liquid cooled Diesel engine. 54" g1900 is 19 20hp. Point is Diesel engines don't go by the hp, they go by the torque. "Like others here have mentioned. And for those who have stated that some of the gas liquid cooled engines are about the same as diesels in fuel consumption. (That is false) diesels clearly are more conservative on fuel.
I have went through 15gallons of fuel with the 12 clients I mowed with it last year. The only complaint I would say about having Diesel engines on mowers is the weight. With my kubota I could not use it in damp conditions at all or else it would leave wide slight ruts in the lawn.

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
Where is the savings with diesel running 80 cents more than gas? You will get more power out of 37 hp gas with about the same expense per hour as the diesel. Save 5k and get a gas mower. I see a purpose for a 997 but not this mower.
This statement is incorrect.
They clearly save more fuel than gas engines. This is how you know someone has not ran Diesel before.:laugh:

Do you have the torque ratings for each?

HP means nothing, torque is where it's at. Especially since diesels generally hit peak torque at lower RPM's than gas.

Way back when, I found that a liquid cooled gas would use approximately half the fuel a air cooled would. And a diesel would use approximately half the fuel a liquid cooled gas would. And it consistently had the power to mow through wet or long grass without bogging down.

Either way, 37 HP is overkill for a 60" or even a 72" mower on a Z. Wasting fuel with an engine that size.
I agree with this statement.

GoPappy

LawnSite Bronze Member
tpendagast and I had this discussion in another thread...the HP wars in mowers is just stupid. I can remember running a Toro Groundsmaster 72" with 20 HP...never ran out of power.

Had a Toro 4000D 11' batwing, all decks had hydraulic driven blades, full time 4WD...55 HP.

And someone needs 37 HP for a 60" deck? Or 72" On a Z?

Surekwhatever...
Isn't Ferris bringing out the Z3 with the Vanguard 37hp EFI on a 52" mower?

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Isn't Ferris bringing out the Z3 with the Vanguard 37hp EFI on a 52" mower?
I believe that's when Ted and I started discussing the stupidity of that much HP on that small of a mower.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I’ll agree with this too.. it’s just like trucks I mean seriously who needs 1000 ft lbs in a dang pickup.
Europe has their sports cars but by and large most of their vehicles are smaller and less powerful than ours and they all get stuff done just fine.
There must be less gravity in Europe?
Yea that’s it.