1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Deere 994r has arrived

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by arl250, Jan 16, 2019.

1. nch209

nch209 LawnSite Member

Looks like a little beast! More than what I need... but still drool-worthy! :)

Ridin' Green likes this.
  2. 40acres76

40acres76 LawnSite Member

I bought a John Deere Z994R last week with the Suspension seat and 60 inch 7 iron Pro deck. I ran it 2 hours on Saturday. Mostly leaves and weeds so it’s too early to tell how it will handle thick grass but it runs and rides great. Here it’s available in the 54 inch 7iron Pro deck, 60 inch Pro and 60 Mod. After reading posts in this site I decided against the Mod deck. My choices came down to Grasshopper and John Deere. I read a lot of posts (Thank you to everyone who shares information) and looked at a lot of mowes and for me it came down to this. I have a great John Deere dealer 5 minutes from me. Grasshopper is 30 minutes away. I used to farm for a living and ran a lot of older equipment and was impressed at how John Deere alsways had parts either in stock or available the next day. Now those parts were sometimes a little expensive but they were always easy to get. I like the cutting height adjustment on the John Deere—just press the foot pedal slightly then turn the knob on the right hand control panel. Also when transporting just press the foot pedal all the way down and turn the lock located on top of the height adjustment knob. The control handles are adjustable so it’s eash to find a fit that’s comfortable. I sit higher on the John Deere and I like that. Overall the John Deere just fit me better and felt more solid and comfortable. The pedal to lift the deck felt smoother and easier to press on the JD. I like the low mid mount fuel tank on the Grasshopper better than the JD tank. I really like the foot pedal parking brake on the JD. My hardest choice was between a front mount and a mid mount. Had I chose the front mount i would have gone with the Grasshopper 725D. There were some things I really liked about that mower but at the end of the day I went with the mid mount and for me personally I felt that the JD 994R was the better choice over the Grasshopper 325D. But I think these are all really good, realizable and comfortable mowes and a person couldn’t go wrong with either of them.

3. OP
    OP
    arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good to hear ... congratulations I hope it does well! I’m still considering it haven’t made a final choice yet though

40acres76 and Mownmachine144 like this.
  4. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats! I think that 7iron deck will do you well, enjoy the mower.Thumbs Up

40acres76 likes this.
  5. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at them yesterday seems nice looking and they don't look to big considering it's a diesel. Now it was sitting next to a 997. Now you got to see the deck belt and pulleys on the 997. It's crazy huge. Looks like they can take a beating and that belt looks like it will last forever. Belt is very wide and pulleys seem to be at least 10 inches in diameter if not more.

CGros31 likes this.
  6. 40acres76

I agree, the 997 is one strong looking machine. I drove one & was really impressed but I couldn’t handle the difference in the price between the 997 and 994r.

7. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

I passed by my dealer last week and they had 2 in stock. I'll have to stop by there and pay them a visit, it's been a while since I've been there.

8. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

40acres76, how is that 994 treating you? I went look at them in person yesterday and got a quote. I’m debating on pulling the trigger now or waiting till the start of next season. 17,200 with full suspension seat and the dealer would put a 54 inch MOD deck on it for me because they aren’t offered on it. He would swap decks with one of his 930’s.

9. 40acres76

So far I really like it. Here the weather is just starting to warm up so i can’t tell yet how it will handle tall thick grass but it rides great. The suspension seat is really nice with adjustable back and lumbar and the comfort glide. I run it set where it will glide back and forth and It works great for me. The Diesel engine is a little noisy at idle (which is normal) but half to wide open and it’s smooth as silk. I like the foot pedal braking brake and the adjustable handles. The more I run this mower the better I like it so far. My dealer said since this is a new model he would be getting a demo. Maybe yours will also. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask.

hort101 and Wye Oak Tree like this.
  10. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I already have two machines with Yanmar diesels and my 1025r has the same engine as the 994. It’s smooth as silk as you described, and it has tons of torque and is a fuel sipper. I will go to the dealer in a couple of weeks to see what my 925 is worth. I may pull the trigger then.

40acres76 and hort101 like this.