Deere 994r has arrived

Brucey

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ordered the 14 bushel dump from seat collection system, should be here in early May. Will just back into trailer and dump in front where I have three sides of plywood for now.

Brucey

LawnSite Bronze Member
Also figured out a use for the tie down bar on the rear bumper, doubles as a make shift sod cutter, went back in ok. Pulled it free from it's beached position with the 636.
IMG_20210427_094623841.jpg

IMG_20210427_095057992.jpg
IMG_20210427_095143991.jpg

HEMTT

LawnSite Senior Member
Rather than change my oil very early, I like to change my oil filter after about 8-10 hours or 75-100 miles on my motorcycles. This is especially true in my motorcycles that share engine oil with their transmission. Just ordered a Z997R can't wait to use that toy!

Brucey

LawnSite Bronze Member
Rather than change my oil very early, I like to change my oil filter after about 8-10 hours or 75-100 miles on my motorcycles. This is especially true in my motorcycles that share engine oil with their transmission. Just ordered a Z997R can't wait to use that toy!
Is it replacing another mower or an additional unit? Curious how the 997r fits into your operation. 72" deck? Good dealer incentives?

HEMTT

LawnSite Senior Member
Is it replacing another mower or an additional unit? Curious how the 997r fits into your operation. 72" deck? Good dealer incentives?
Not replacing another mower, I'm relegating my 2014 Super Z HD 72" Kawi 1000 side discharge to rougher areas of my property. The new 72" Z is for my 6 acres of actual "grass" up here in the PNW. We rarely get really dry grass to mow up here and I'm switching to rear discharge. I've tried every blade combination and used a mulch kit, but that only works about 2 months of the year. I mow 7-8 months and with side discharge I get LOTS of pseudo wind-rowing and clumping.

My wife will be sharing the "grass" duties on the JD sometimes but the nasty, slow pasture stuff and trails through the woods will fall on me and the Hustler.

I added about $3000 in options, factory incentives aren't much, $500 off and 60 months 0%. They did take off a considerable $ amount and no charge for setup of all my add-ons and free delivery. The free delivery here is big, it alone saves me $800 in sales tax, 7.8% vs 10.4%.

Brucey

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hope the rear discharge works out for you. From all accounts a rear discharge will windrow worse than a side discharge (but thats assuming same deck style), because side discharge can throw the clippings over a wider swathe than going straight out the rear.

HEMTT

LawnSite Senior Member
Hope the rear discharge works out for you. From all accounts a rear discharge will windrow worse than a side discharge (but thats assuming same deck style), because side discharge can throw the clippings over a wider swathe than going straight out the rear.
Thanks, I know Hustler sends it's rear discharge over nearly the whole width of the deck, many do relatively narrow channels, concentrating the clippings. Hustler doesn't do EFI or Tweels on the rear discharge decks, air filled turf tires and the carb Kawasaki only. Put it this way, it's not going to be worse, we live in a weather convergence zone, we get wet when others a mile or two to the north and south are dry. I'm going to try to mulch again mid June on and refine things.

Hopefully with the rear discharge, I won't fully cover the pool with cuttings from 300-500' away. We live on top of a hill with wonderful spring and summer breezes, the dry/dead clippings float beautifully over and around the house and into the swimming pool, covering the surface. :wall: After a mow, I have a 1 hr skimming job. :rolleyes: Mowing near the pool, no problem, the prevailing winds don't go that way.

I might fail in this endeavor but the first Gen. VX4 deck was only getting it done 2 months of the year and my rough areas were miserable with a mulch kit on. This way I have one for the good stuff, one to stump jump out on the trails and fields.

Brucey

LawnSite Bronze Member
Installed the front weight bracket, blower mounts, rear bracket and additional spindle pulley. Took it for a quick mow before the thunderstorms rolled in, feels a little more balanced with the empty bracket out front, but does prevent me from getting the deck close into obstacles. Does look like you cant have the rops secured upright with the MCS attached as the upper mounting arms attach to the movable ROPS pins in a different position.

Dealer had ordered a duplicate front bracket and pins, not realizing the MCS kit included them, so that's over $500 coming back to me.

Top Forums