Deere 997 broken spindles!

Drivefaster35

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a John Deere 997 with a 72 inch deck in which I use just for rough cut mowing. I continue ton have problems with if the guys that i have working for me hit something even something not that big it busts the spindle housing "the only part you can't buy from deere" which results in me having to purchase a brand new $200 new spindle. Didn't know what your thoughts were on why this is happening I have 60 inch 797 which we have hit many much larger objects and nothing breaks at all. the 997 goes through at least 2-3 a year. Any thoughts or options to save me some money?

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
yeah don't use a mower for a bush hogs job

and

Driveslower :)

herler

LawnSite Fanatic
That's what I keep trying to tell these guys, hydraulic-power mowers leave little room for error when they encounter a force stronger than steel because the hydraulics are more powerful than steel and you can bend and destroy a range of things, consider this a lesson learned and stop using finish mowers out in the rough.

tigerepairdotcom

LawnSite Senior Member
Same reason washers and dryers last 4 years instead of 14 like the 80`s or 40 years like in the 50`s. Everyone has concentration on maximizing profits. If you say otherwise you work for "Them." Stihl, Redmax toro kitchenaid the us government and many more what such care about money more than making a dependable product since they are have conditioned us to not care about the suck. If you want examples from any of those companies/Reigeems just ask. Ill site shotty engineering that is not part of some compromise situation from any of those brands.

tigerepairdotcom

LawnSite Senior Member
Another thought is. Contract a manufacturer in china to make you a SERIOUSLY FRIGGIN stout part that will never die. You will Probably pay less than new and get something you can really bush hog with

herler

LawnSite Fanatic
Another thought is. Contract a manufacturer in china to make you a SERIOUSLY FRIGGIN stout part that will never die. You will Probably pay less than new and get something you can really bush hog with

Yeah but made to what standards?

Generally speaking by the time the Chinese product approaches ours in terms of standards so does the price.

Anyone can mass produce for cheap so long there's compromise, seems to me a lot of this compromise falls down on the quality control department... I've ordered hundreds of Chinese items in the past, sometimes the quality control is up to par... Most often it isn't, most often their best quality control is 9 out of 10, just as often 7 or 8 out of 10 pass inspection, those are the good days. On a not so good day 3-4 maybe 5 out of 10 pass inspection, and on a bad day, I've seen total fail on merchandise before too (granted this last doesn't happen often, not at all).

What good is it when the stuff you order doesn't match specification because of poor quality control?
Doesn't matter much if it was cheap, if the dang thing won't fit or maybe the bolt holes don't go through or some other BS...
In some cases we can fix their product's inconsistency, but not always.

Remember about Chinese, you can't return it.

Not saying I'll never take a chance, I do and I will continue to as well.
But I'm also aware of the implications when I pay.
Win some, lose some.

Last edited:

twomancrew

LawnSite Senior Member
OP I would ask you to stop using an impact and tighten those blades to proper torque. Check the bolt and washer on each blade. Might as well just replace those washers. Stop over-tightening the blades. Next time you strike something you have to check the blade for bending and loosen the bolt and check bolt torque. Hitting stuff is supposed to damage the blade and not the spindle. Give the spindle a little break via the blade- the way it was designed to work.

Hire a professional operator and pay them according. Little more hourly might save you big in this case. At the very least you should hire people who care about the equipment.

twomancrew

LawnSite Senior Member
Torque isn't going to have anything to do with breaking spindles.

I would trade the 997 is on a CUT. Proper tool for the job
Posted via Mobile Device

Whif, understand I am a deere fan. My dad retired from Mt Joy Wrks and Deere was and is very good to my family. So is the union as far as my family is concerned.
I broke 2 spindles on my Toro first day I had it. Toro fixed it because the online manual for my unit gave blade bolt torque for the old style spindles with the aluminum break-away hub. Those spindles have a saddle that locates the blade in the spindle and locks them as one. My blades were way over torqued(something like 145ft#). Since then I have bent at least a dozen blades from striking stuff. I am still on the same spindles. The Deere spindle is setup the same as the Toro. A spring washer is used and when torqued properly it will cushion impact and bend the blade. It will lfattten out the wsher when it happens so a few extra on hand along with extra blades go a long way in the field. Also I keep an aluminum welding clamp that I use to get the blades off. When that washer flattens out I have drug the mower in circles trying to get the bolt loosened. The clamp is put on the deck and stops the blade from moving when removed. Kinda like the block of wood trick.

Absolutely a CUT is needed for bushwacking.

jrs.landscaping

LawnSite Silver Member
I've watched a 997 spit out a granite marker, bent the blade but no damage to the mower itself. Your guys must hit some pretty nasty objects.........
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums