1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Deere gx345 fd611v Bad Motor what to do???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by wgordon, Jun 12, 2008.

1. wgordon

wgordon LawnSite Member

I bought a Deere gx345 for $700 with a bad motor. It is in great shape 350 hrs but his son ran it with a bad water pump. Supposedly it needs a new short block and some valve work. Unfortunately deere wants $2200 for short block and #&*(!@#&*( Kawasaki stopped making the FD611v-s00 about a year ago with no suitable replace from what I can see.

I hate to turn this into a parts machine because it is awesome but $3000 for a motor is not going to happen. From what I have read the replacement is FD731v which wont work without major issues... Hoping someone has advice on what they have done. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I guess briggs makes a suitable replacement but I am a huge fan of water cooled Kaw motors. I have an lx178 I have had 10+ years bought used with bad front tires (so obviously had a ton of hrs) and it still doesn't burn oil. This was going to be my upgrade unfortunately I am at a loss on what to do.