Deere...Hustler...or Gravely

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by apguy, Mar 20, 2019.

1. apguy

apguy LawnSite Member

Been researching mowers now for the last few weeks and I've somewhat narrowed down my search based on the dealers i have around me. I bought my Raptor SD from the local hustler dealer back in 14' and have had hardly any issues with it. One small warranty claim that was a no questions asked fix. That alone is leaning me towards another hustler but I'm looking at compatible models to get the best bang for my buck.

At the moment I'm thinking either a Hustler Fastrak SDX, Deere 915E, or a Gravely Pro Turn 160. All in 60" variants. I haven't talked to my dealer yet to get a prices but it looks like all of them have 0% for 36-48mo. Gravely looks to have 20% off current models plus 0% financing and with Deere, since I'm an Employee I get a $950 rebate on the 915E, but their price listed on the local dealer sites are sitting at 9k which is a bit more than I'm looking to spend.

Which would you choose? I hear the 7 iron decks are the deck of choice but will I tell a difference just mowing my acreage(3 acres mowable) Is the Deere worth another 1-2k?

My Hustler dealer also sells Deere turf equipment so I'd be comfortable buying both from him. The gravely dealer is in the same town but a new-to-me dealer that I've never stepped foot into yet.

Thoughts?

2. OP
    OP
    apguy

apguy LawnSite Member

Doesn't look like this has received any traction for whatever reason but I'll update on the mower's I looked at today and maybe it'll revive this thread. This morning I stopped at my Hustler & Deere dealer and talked with the owner about my plans to potentially upgrade mowers this year. I'd really like a Fastrak SDX but he seemed to be swaying me towards a Fastrak 60" to upgrade from my Raptor SD 54".

The Fastrak was a 27 HP Kohler EFI model that he was quoting me $7900 for the mower and giving me $2500 for my Raptor on trade(which I thought was pretty decent & so we're talking 5400 plus tax out the door)

I mentioned I was considering a Deere as I get a rebate as a Deere employee but I got a sticker shock quote that was over any msrp that I've seen even online on Deere's website. They quoted me $10,100 for a Deere 915E with the 60" deck. This seems insane to me as some of the implement dealers around me have 1-2 year old 915E's with less than 100 hrs on them selling for mid 6k range. So my first year with the mower I'm going to be 4k upside down already!? Not sure what the deal is there, if it's because I'm getting an employee rebate they felt they had to list it at full msrp, or that I'm a residential owner and not a commercial guy? I was really leaning towards a 915 after reading plenty of great reviews on them and their 7 Iron decks but not at $10K. With my rebate & trade in value it brought the mower down to $7500 plus tax out the door ($6550 counting the rebate)...but I've read many others getting close to, or less than that, out the door for theirs in other regions. What gives?

Last stop was the Gravely dealer. They by far have the best prices, I'm just not 100% set on the dealer itself. They are a new shop put up a few years ago and talking to what I'm assuming was the salesman/owner, he couldn't tell me much about them other than which ones were commercial units and which were residential, and which ones he's sold the most of. For the price I was quoted for the Deere I could get a ProTurn 160 that's a full commercial unit, ZT3400 hydros, suspension set, ect ect.(pricing with their 20% promo running until the end of the month, and without any discounts from trading my mower) That would get me to the 10mph mark for the least amount of money.

My pocketbook is telling me to go Gravely, but I still would like to give my business to the Hustler dealer that has treated me right in the past and is well established that I know will be there years down the road when I need maintenance or warranty work done.

Would really appreciate some advice.

Will a Fastrak 60 be that much of an upgrade over my RSD 54?
    Push for a Fastrak SDX?
    Do I look to an large implement dealer for a better price on a 915?
    Give the new Gravely dealer a shot and hope he has the parts and personnel to keep the mower running should it have any issues?

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that deere should be much cheaper than that. you can buy them for $7-$8k here.

morty60 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    apguy

apguy LawnSite Member

That's a little more what I was expecting. Even the implement dealer websites have them in big bold letters "starting at $7599" for a 48"...I might chew on them a bit and see what they can do. Going to call the local big implement dealers around me too and get their price and see if my small dealer can match it

5. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have to buy from that one dealer? Check with other dealers on the Deere. Then get a dealer sheet from them , take it to the dealer that is close to you and ask him if he will price match another dealer..

Jake the grass guy likes this.
  6. morty60

morty60 LawnSite Member

Local dealer in SW Indiana had the 915E for $6,499 over the Winter. The price you’re being quoted seems crazy.

Doc8406 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    apguy

apguy LawnSite Member

That's my plan. Hoping to stop into the implement dealers around me and get some quotes from them and see what they have to say. May also look into the other Hustler dealers just for a gut check on the Fastrak prices.

Agreed! For $6500 I'd get one delivered and still be money ahead

morty60 and Doc8406 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    apguy

apguy LawnSite Member

One other quick question as I'm expanding my dealer search. Another 30 minutes the other direction I have a Scag dealer. I'm thinking about a Scag Patriot 61" that looks to be in the same price range as the others I'm looking at.

Thoughts on a Scag?

9. Ron_Swanson

Ron_Swanson LawnSite Senior Member

That’s odd. I just bought a 915e 60” last week for 7699 I believe. I was a bit worried about having enough power because I’ve got at least 5 acres to mow, more if I wanted to try tackling the pasture. I was assured by the commercial guys that power is fine. We’ll see. But yea, based on everything I’ve seen, the 915e seems like the best bang for the buck mower you can get.

10. OP
    OP
    apguy

apguy LawnSite Member

Ok so $10,100 is nuts, really not even a realistic number. Starting quote of $7500 for a 48"... You can't tell me a 60" deck and wider tires bumps the cost up another $2500. Going to do some calling around today and see what a 60" 915E no trade cash price is and see what I get back.

I hate to pit 2 dealers together, especially a large implement dealer to a small private Deere dealership but that's the game a dealership has to play anymore. I'm willing to support a small dealer if the difference is a few hundred bucks but these price differences in seeing are significant.