Deere stand up mower has long bolts to change blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Aug 11, 2019.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never owned a stand up mower. I got a loaner from deere while my machine is in the shop. Every loaner I get has extremely dull blades. I decided to take blades of to sharpen them. I took impact wrench to them. I did not know they had a top nut on top of spindle. I got it off and bolt is about 1 ft long. It had a ton of washers on it. Is this normal?

2. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if all of the washers are normal, but my Scag has really long bolts that go up through, so you have to have the deck pretty high up to get the bolts out.

3. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

My exmark wb had about a 8" bolt that went through the spindle and a top nut on top of the deck.
    I liked it alot more then the 3" small bolt on my ferris wb. On the exmark I have changed the blades with a impact gun and no jack stand. Just lifting by and and easily reaching under and slipping the bolts up top to put a nut on.

4. tcparker428

tcparker428 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Yep completely normal 3 on the topside 3 on the bottom

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

The bolt through system sucks. Nuts get overtorqued.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  6. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

How is it more likely to over torque vs a shorter bolt underneath?

7. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

more than likely that's a wright mower with JD paint.

Wright uses the through bolt with nut on top, along with adjustable washers typically 4 or 5 of them. You can put the washers wherever you need in order to find tune your height adjustment. I run 1 washer on top and 4 on the bottom on my stander. 1ft long bolt is an exaggeration of course, but we know it's long.

I don't like the inconvenience of having the through bolt, but I understand why Wright did it, and it chalks up another reason as to why they make the best stand on mower on the market. The through bolt prevents snapping a bolt off inside the spindle, which happens on other spindles that do not have a through bolt.

Brucey and hort101 like this.
  8. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

yea its normal

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Yes and one of the biggest reasons I'll never buy another one.

The Scags are not as difficult to remove.

10. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't let a blade bolt get in the way. If you use an impact, which I do, you simply put the impact on the nut, from the top, boom, bolt falls out, washers come off, blade comes off.

Can't imagine it being a deal breaker unless you really think it's going to take that much more time. THe nice thing is that you can really dial in your height adjustment. The other nice thing is that when you snap the bolt off inside the spindle from hitting somethign, you're not looking at replacing the spindle. just the bolt.

Wright and scag hardly compare when it comes to stand on mowers, it seems scag leaves a lot on the table. Scalping is my number one issue withe the scag deck on their stand ons. Scag also is not nearly as compact as wright.

I can think of several pro's and cons for both companies, but some of the major things are what i consider when buying a stand on. Not the blade removal, since it has to be jacked up either way and honestly, it's not any harder for me. i know some just aren't used to it and it's a huge deal breaker, but lord if that's the biggest reason you went scag, yikes.